Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Pin Holes In The Fuel Tank - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Pin Holes In The Fuel Tank

Paul Coleman

Question

I've just had my fuel tanks blasted (as I wasn't happy with the quote to make a pair out of aluminium!!) and one of them has a few pinholes in the bottom thanks to the foam pad it used to sit on ;) What's the best way to repair it? I'm thinking brazing might be easier than trying to weld that thin steel. Has anybody successfully repaired theirs?

Thanks, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

13 answers to this question

Give Steve at SJ Sportscars a bell - he's just replaced mine (83 Turbo) with new Alloy Tanks as part of the restoration and certainly lists them for S2 at

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' and 1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 286,000 miles and counting!

Thanks for the info guys :)

Fortunately my car is completely dismantled so re-fitting will be a breeze.

Cheers, Paul.

I had the same with both of the tanks on my S1. Managed to get a new rh one from Lotus last year as part of the sale. The lh one however was more tricky. I bought a V8 tank from the Lotus show this year and cut 70mm out of he middle. Had it welded back together and Bobs your uncle. Total cost

To directly answer your question......and friend and I used a welder to patch the holes. It was tricky though as the metal is very thin. It did work though. Be sure to test it before it goes back in the car. I filled it with water and placed it on paper to detect any leaks. Then throughly dried it out before she went back in.

Only did my right side tank.

Have kept it filled with petrol since to eliminate rusting again. Also replaced the mat.

Have not tried to remove the left side. It seems ok.

I did however, place a fuel filter between the tanks to prevent any bad stuff in the left tank from getting to the right one. Then there is the conventional filter to the pump and then a small glass filter just before the regulator and the carbs. That way I can gauge the quality of the fuel as it reaches the Dellortos.

DomG

Dom Giangrasso

1977 S1 Esprit - Lagoon Blue

The Renu web site in the States actually uses the repair of a Lotus fuel tank as an example of their work in this link. Has a lifetime warranty. No indication of prices, though.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

So... which way are you going Paul - repair or replace?

I don't know :) I'm torn between doing this restoration and saving as much money as possible (and also keeping the car as original as possible) and spending a fortune on it so that I will never need to restore it again. If I go alloy tank I will also go for an aluminium radiator and brand new galvanized chassis but that's going to be