Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Hello from Finland 🇫🇮 - Page 3 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Hello from Finland 🇫🇮

Osku

Here are some pictures on when i changed the key pattern for the gas cap. The lock is very typical and I just dismantled the screws(actually only the two in the center where nesseary) puched the lock out and re organized the key hole tabs. I ended up leaving one out for now but i gues i will fix that when I have my other car lock set at home there are several tabs of differing size so I gues I will find one the can be grind to correct size and if not then  I will leave the one out as for me its just on the gas cap and do not need to be super safe. Now I have only two keys to the var one for ignition and one for the rest.IMG_20190508_183510_resize_20190508_184208.thumb.jpg.fb3716c752f1c6b1d7b393a31b444cf0.jpg

IMG_20190508_183540_resize_20190508_184208.jpg

IMG_20190508_183136_resize_20190508_184206.jpg

IMG_20190508_183245_resize_20190508_184207.jpg

IMG_20190508_183358_resize_20190508_184207.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I felt lucky yesterday evening I just happened to realize that the pulley on my distributor is loose. I did try the nut and I could tighten it slightly but the pulley still rocks on the axel. It seems the pulley would have moved inwards and rubbed slightly on something. Any suggestion how the previous owner got this to happen and should I just change the pulley thee axel or both and more importantly where to get the parts.

I am so happy that it did not fall of and ruin the engine.

IMG_20190608_002113.jpg

IMG_20190608_002038.jpg

Edited by Osku

I have been reading my books here and if I'm a bit confused about the setup.

I have the manual pictures from the pulley and the auxiliary shaft but how should the sloted pulley mont on the shaft? I have not yet dismanteld my set up but in the pictures something do not match is there still a part missing on the pictures as I suspect I have to change the pulley the thingvthe pulley monts to and in worst case the housing.

Auxiliary housing F907E0437H
                           or F907E1092H
Pulley A910E0309F
Auxilliary Axel E907E0291H

There are to numbers for the housing wich is correct for me and how can I tell?

And more importantly who sells them to me?

IMG_20190608_110855.jpg

IMG_20190608_110621.jpg

I have started the job by printing the first tool Cam sprocket lock.

If this text jumps a bit it is becaus I am having the discussion on also on the lotus excel foorum. But it is hard to add photos there so I redirect the discussion here when I need to show pictures.

http://www.lotusexcel.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11158&p=85982#p85982

IMG_20190608_223037.jpg

Edited by Osku

Well there's the problem. Pretty nasty that some one had relized it and just put an extra washer to fix it. Nice job from the prvious mechanic especially on the cam drive. Well thank god I found it in time.

IMG_20190609_111553.jpg

IMG_20190609_111600.jpg

Well there's the problem. Pretty nasty that some one had relized it and just put an extra washer to fix it. Nice job from the prvious mechanic especially on the cam drive. Well thank god I found it in time.

Hereis the issue as video it wigles like hel and it will not stop runing down the shaft.

Actually it seems realy that some one has put togather parts that do not belong togather. they ar not worn they are just not compatible togather.

Obviously som wear but the tolerance must have been huge already when installed

IMG_20190609_181934.jpg

IMG_20190609_182232.jpg

Some ideas on how to fix correctly?

Now I have ordered everything I should need to get this back togather. That will say the whole oilpump distributor assembly with wheel and axel, belt and tensioner. Now just have to wait and se when it will arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

While waitng for parts, revisited the gascap lock and added the correct size of hinder. I did use an VW piece wich I filed just slightly to get it fitting. the piece was from a T3 syncro lock. I also changed the O-ring and cap main seal as I seemd to have some leakage from the cap too. I hope this could be whats smelling gas in the trunk as the breather hose change did not fix the issue.

So the lotus orginal is the silver one top right the rest are VW the are very similar in size. the lotus one is just slightly biger, thus can be filed down to right size and the hole is spot on, neede no filing.

IMG_20190625_101130.jpg

Edited by Osku

I did search a lot for a carpet sample that mached the orginal I started with the suggested coverdale and alike and finaly I got a suplier to ask for samples from several manufacturers and I finaly got pretty close to orginal. Here are some pictures of the carpet fixing of the foot wells

IMG_20190627_234442.jpg

IMG_20190627_230747.jpg

IMG_20190627_224656.jpg

This is photod with a flash so the shadows hide the slight difference.

And the coverdale carpet is way of the color all of them wich they offer. This is light years better and still not perfect but this cold pass with a quick glanse. I think I try to rejuvenate the orginal still slightly with color. That should blend it in perfectly.

Edited by Osku

Now I finaly got the parts.

most of the stuff is 1A quality and the few things that was wrong lotus bits promised to fix promtly so I'm very happy as I get to put my car back togather.

Here is still a picture of the parts.

IMG_20190628_164909.jpg

Edited by Osku

How have you checked the timing belt tension do you use a tool as the manual suggest and if then wich tools are awailable and with what values for lotus?

Or have you just tryed it by twisting the belt to 85-90 deg on opposite side of tensioner.

I even found that the earth cable for the horn was made out of home high curant solid cable. So I have been replacing electric cables and connectors and sokdered all of them. Sadly my big soldering iron for the big terminal cables had some how broken so have to buy a new of those.

IMG_20190701_211033.jpg

IMG_20190701_212103.jpg

IMG_20190701_220538.jpg

There was also a cable for the temperature sender that was cobled to gather from several short segments. Why cant people make things prooerly rather than like this camon its not that much more trouble.

Main cable is also a piece of art I do not have clue one why it makes a loop round the sub frame I think I have to sort that too tomorrow.

Now I have renoved the following cable ends from crappy abikos to soldered ones  and soldered them installed a  shrink sock on them.

1. temperature sender

2. Thermostat for fan

3. Coil

4. Main cable

5. Alternator

Now the car is put back togather and runs I have not yet tried it onthe road but I will do it tomorow

Atleast the engine sounded fine so the ticking noise I had diagnosed as valve problems was the pulley for the auxiliary shaft.

• 2 weeks later...

The Engine was on the bench for a tune and result was 132hp at the wheels so that makes it something like 155 ay the crank if the engine is an 160hp engine then it is healthy espesially as it is tuned for drivaability. If an 180 hp then nit so. I hope and gues it is 160hp newer engine with minor blowby(7hp).

Great to see the progress. Hope you get the car back on the road again soon.

In case you want to meet up with some fellow Lotus owners, I’d recommend that you look at Lotus Festival Sweden 2019. Link to the invite at the Swedish club site: http://www.lccs.nu/inbjudan-lotus-festival-sweden/. Feel free to contact me via PM in case you’d like to join.

It is already back on the road the Dyno with the wizard i thrust was a good 100km from helsinki and I continued after the tuneup straight a 100 km north to the wisinity of Tampere, so to get home I have to drive a good 200 km.

• Like 1

What comes to the Lotus happening in sweden I do not yet know what I have time for. I might be interested but  I would like to get three other cars also a bit forward during my sommer. Becaus for one of them I have alredy booked the painting and another I have all the parts for so it just needs assembly so I'm curious how it will turn out. The third needs a lot of parts still so its mostly internet and telephone and running around talking to people so I will make some of the running around with the lotus just to get some miles to know its good.

Does some one know where I could find some of this cloth for the seats. My driver seat is falling appart, I would like to buy any old seat with some of the cloth on this seat. I would then use the good bits to make a good seat.

IMG_20190717_120220.jpg

Edited by Osku

My Capri RS has a similar fabric, I found it from a bmw M unfortunately only in black,but Ford has used similar fabrics for years.
You can try from a Capri or Taunus -Cortina Ghia, they had various colors

Otherwise you could use the fabric of the back part of the seat, replacing it with vinyl,for ritrim the front of it. Or you can replace the outer part of the seats with leather and the interior remains in fabric.

b21b5a45094c7b9bd56c973cc8b8a2df.jpg