Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rear hub/rubber bushing - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear hub/rubber bushing

Hi all,

Noticed last night a bush (Item 42) needs replacing on rear suspension.   I suspect the bolt (Item 45) will be a challenge to remove.  Can anyone give any advice.  Is it better to strip the lot on the bench or remove it whilst on the car.  I have a ramp so I can easily access it from under car.  I am aware that the hub is relatively delicate and will not put up with hammering.  Thanks for any help

23.JPG

A closely relates topic as just been discussed as part of  restoration topic. You'll be best to remove the cast carrier from the car, and soak/ eta etc to free 45 within the casting & the split sleeve 46. 

I used a combination of plus gaz and temperature to get mine out. Took me pretty much a week of plus gaz and then a day of heating. |You need a piece of threaded bar and lots of washers/spacers to act as a pull as its slow progress to remove.  BTW I used a heat gun rather than a flame as I was worried about getting the aluminium too hot.

good luck

C43

Thanks C43. Interesting you use plus gas. My experience of plus gas is better than wd40. Agree with your comment about getting too hot. Note your comment about heat gun but would probably carefully use a blow torch that i have for plumbling and  Not my oxyacetylene portapak! This will be  cooler.  About another week putting car back together at the moment so am soaking everyday in preparation. Some good entertainment ahead i think

I actually bought a cheap temperature gun off ebay so I could check how hot I got the upright to. I aimed for less than 150 deg C so pretty conservative. As I said took a day eventually to get it out. My wife could not work out why I was cheering so much for the removal of one insert. BTW picture below shows it back together now, makes it all worthwhile!

good luck

C43

file-22.jpeg

• Like 1