Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
High continuous electric beep tone - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

High continuous electric beep tone

Hi, perhaps it's due to my hearing but when I start the engine- and when the engine is running I hear a high continuous beep tone. It is not loud but (better) audible when the engine is stationary. It seems to be from the engine bay and it doesn't seem to me it is mechanical, more electrical. Any suggestions?! 

Things that beep in the cabin ...

1) reversing sensor sounder, located above passenger side seat under the trim.

2) I thought I had a switch pack failure which just turned out to be a key fob battery. I thought just before it filed completely the dash made a different beeping sound before the car was started up.

3) that’s about it I think, we can discount the radio cos it’s pants.

cheers

Mark

Thanks. Strange, the high beep is only there when I start- and run the engine. Not sure where it comes from still, on the outside I can't really hear it but inside I can hear it. 

If the high-pitched noise is from the engine bay, then it is likely to be from the throttle actuator (stepper motor) on the throttle body.  On most Exiges, the noise from the throttle housing is usually most evident when the ignition is ON - but with the engine NOT running; the whine stops as soon as you turn-off the ignition.

Most of us owners have had our hearing so wrecked by the noise from the engine/exhaust (or wind roar with the roof off) that we’re half deaf anyway - or we’re sufficiently old that, due to natural aging, we can’t hear high pitched noise 🙂

Edited by LotusPilot
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/06/2019 at 00:38, Mark030358 said:

The reversing sounder would only be initiated when in reverse but is it also powered when the ignition is on but without running engine? 

Is there anyone else with suggestions on a high tone, audible only within the car and with running engine.. I have no idea?! 

Edited by PJ

Still say reversing sensors, have a listen just above the passenger seat see if its coming from there.

cheers

I also have the high-pitched sound, it sounds a little like the continuous noise of the very small air leak very light and sharp. I was going to post a soundtrack during the weekend.

• 1 month later...
On 09/07/2019 at 17:32, Mark030358 said:

Still say reversing sensors, have a listen just above the passenger seat see if its coming from there.

cheers

Hey Mark, you mentioned just above the passenger seat. What is actually installed where exactly? What am I looking for exactly? 

I still have the high tone beep, yes it seems to me it comes from below the seats or at the back of the seats. It is an electrical pitched high tone. 

Any help and suggestions, get me started! 

At ear level behind the passenger seat there is a small speaker (behind the trim)https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=11974&MAK=1&MDL=40&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

Do you think when I pull the fuse for rear sensors this speaker should be disconnected as well? Also, how can I get to it, just take out the passenger seat and look behind the textile or do I need to take off the full rear panel inside? 

Thanks Guys. I located the sensor and disconnected, nothing changed with the beep unfortunately. Don't think it comes from this. Can it be a faulty alternator (diode)? 

No it's not the instrument cluster, before changing that out the beep was there also. Throttle body actuator I am not familiar with?? 

It's defenitely electrical beep. High pitched monotone continuous beep. Its that kind of beep you don't hear anymore of you are in the car for a few minutes and don't pay attention on. But if you listen you notice again. I feel it comes from somewhere between my center console gear towards the back of the seats. Very difficult to pin point the noise. I've read stuff about the diode of the Altenator.

100% when I pull the Altenator Ign fuse the beep changes, only with that action. What should that say? 

Trying to think with you.  If you pull the alternator fuse and the beep changes pitch this can be a ground loop issue on the radio.  In that case the beep will come from the (rear) speakers.  But in that case, the frequency would change with the revs (and should not be there if the radio is fully turned off).  Could you check the speakers?

My bet still is the throttle actuator: the actuator controls the butterfly valve in the throttle body; so in the engine bay, the metal thingy to which the hose coming from the air cleaner is connected to and leading into the supercharger.  Could you have a listen? 

Alternatively: noisy fuel pump?

1 hour ago, Kristof Thys said:

Alternatively: noisy fuel pump?

This was my thought initially until I read the OP insisting it was electrical in nature. Worth a look into, I'm sure I've driven a V6 where I thought it had a very loud pump with a high pitched noise similar to what's being described.

• 2 weeks later...