Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Removing The Motor/tranny, Torque Specs For Flywheel Bolts, Pressure Plates Etc.. - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Removing The Motor/tranny, Torque Specs For Flywheel Bolts, Pressure Plates Etc..

Hello lotus buddies were going into operation this weekand does anyone here know the torque specs for flywheel bolts, pressure plates, flywheels to crank bolts? on 93 Esprit SE, Also is there any tutorial on removing the engine and tranny anywhere online? thanks guys..

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can look it up for you tomorrow... but as for removing the tranny... it's pretty easy... leave the engine and tranny together. You need to remove the back floor (about 8 bolts i think) then remove each panel inside the quater windows. I think you need to remove the steel plate that supports the engine cover before you can remove the quater window panels. Disconnect all fuel lines, and electrical harnesses making sure to label them with masking tape and a marker. Getting the engine mounts off is extremely difficult. There are several heat shields that need to be removed that are attached to the engine and the body of the car. The worst side is the left side under the exhaust manifold. You will need to take off a bolt from the vacuum pump in order to get at the rest of the heat shields. Once the heat shields are removed and all the coolant lines are disconnected along with the oil and fuel lines... then disconnect the gearshift translator. Put a Jack under the rear "u" shaped cross member (the most rearward part of the chassis that protudes below the rest of the chassis and is shaped like a "u"). Then you can disconnect the main top cross member and unbolt the mounts. You will also need to disconnect the drive shafts which may require dis-assembling the rear suspension. Don't forget to disconnect the remaining ground straps and the speedometer cable... Once you've got all that done... dis-assemble the entire exhaust system. The 3 studs that are sticking out of the turbo may cause you trouble when you pull the engine. If you can remove them... do it... it will make your life easier. By the way... disassemble the exhaust from the turbo first and then dis-assemble the rest of it. Now you should be ready to pull the engine. As I recall I pulled it using the engine mounts as strapping points. Be very careful that you don't crush anything with the straps.... I'll post more tomorrow... or you can still just give me a call.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Mark your the man! your new name is Lotus Master Mark! yea!!! haha

I'm gonna print out your instructions to guide us better Thanks, you should write a Lotus for dummies book that would sell!

hehe... i'll try and write a more detailed version later... but that covers the basics... don't forget to mark all your vacuum lines as well and really watch out for ground straps... there's at least 2 of them that I can remember... There may be more of the shifter linkage you'll need to remove in your case (your transmission is different than mine... and also.. don't forget to disconnect the clutch line.

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

If you only want to work on the clutch and flywheel you'll save yourself a lot of trouble by just removing the gearbox. I refitted mine by lifting and threading it from underneath the car too.

Just remove the axles, trunk floor and the small panel above the back of the box. Follow Otis' guide for the bits attached to the gearbox. Support the rear of the engine once you disconnect the bell-housing. A piece of angle steel under the sump and resting on the chassis tubes works well.

Edited by DanR

DanR

He's got more than that for problems.... he has a knock... and therefore he's going to have to check out the whole engine... Bearing inspections etc... so, he's got to pull the whole thing.

okay here's the specs....

--flywheel to crank -- 55 ft lbs or 75Nm (torque in three stages to be safe and use loctite... torque as if you are putting on a wheel. Also... be sure to mark the flywheel and crank to make sure you put it back on the same way... this may not be significant as you may be replacing the flywheel anyway... but it's still a good idea)

--The clutch should be torqued to 17-19 ft lbs or 23 to 25Nm (use lithium grease on the transmission shaft to make it easy to install.)

--

here's what the manual says exactly:

The clutch pack should not be disassembled unless contamination or overheating is suspected. If

dismantled for this or any other reason, it is essential that the three spring steel clips retaining the intermediate

pressure plate to the pins on the spring pressure plate, are renewed together with the pins and their nuts. A

service pack is available containing three pins, with pre-applied thread locking compound, three nuts, and

three spring clips. The position of the clips should be set as specified in the assembly procedure:

Flywheel

If the flywheel shows signs of overheating through excessive clutch slip, characterised by large areas of

i don't have a link... just the manual on cd

just e-mailed it to you.... the whole thing... 47.8 mb

crud... 47.8mb is too large.

i'll try sending the zip file

odd.. the zip is larger... sorry.. no can send

all i have is messenger -- mark_terrio_cameron@hotmail.com