Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
So I Bought An Apple Iphone Today .... - Page 11 - Technology & Gaming - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

So I Bought An Apple Iphone Today ....

fmxa

Watched the release on youtube and couldn't really believe my eyes/ears.

Apple could do a crap and stick the logo on it and the lemmings / Apple zombies would woop and cheer every one of SJ's sentances - made me quite ill actually.

So he has only time to talk about 8 of the 100 features on the phone and spends 99% of the stage talking about the design and that it has buttons...and people are seriously hailing it as a ground breaking piece of kit...

Integrated antennas....riiiight....my tyre pressure monitoring system transmitter has integrated antennas, phones since 1990's have had antennas similar to this insulated in the chassis but made from a much better/cheaper conductor than stainless steel (ie copper) and not earthed to a very large attenuator - ie your body. I take it Apple have done their research on this but grabbing hold of an antenna significantly detunes it.

Android vs OS4 is chalk and cheese - Android has the right idea on how the smart phone should work, OS4 is like DOS in comparison.

All Apple have done here is re-design the thing with new processor etc to match the current market leaders (all of the 'new' features are currently on existing phones) and then pinched the ideas from jailbreak devs to sex up a decrepid operating system with more money making spins (iAds / iBooks). Oh and no flash support :thumbdown:

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I don't want tostart a ruck but,

Jonathan it is obvious that you are not a fan of the Iphone and that is fine but do you need slag it off every 5 minutes?

People make their own choices, and with all due respect, you seem to be preaching 'the gospel against Apple', and there are pros and cons to every phone.

I had an I pod touch (mainly to listen to music at the gym) and when my phone contract was up it was a logical move to upgrade to the I phone and I am happy with it.

By all means keep us informed but without the bias please :thumbdown:

I'm not bias at all :thumbsup:

I own one of the cretinous things...everything I say is truth or has a reason behind it.

If you're happy with it - excellent ! :yes:

I'll say no more (hooray LOL). Apple have outdone themselves (in a bad way) with their iPhone 3G Mk3, its just a catchup product and there's no way in hell I'd buy the thing nor will I ever buy another apple product.

Time to bin the apps/software and re-convert all the music/movies back...

iPhone 4 & OS4 both look brilliant to me ............ just like the other 2 iPhones I've owned and the MacBook Pro. :thumbsup:

Head and shoulders above Window's products IMHO.

At the moment, very happy with Apple and its products.

Each to his own I guess

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

I wouldn't take offence at Jonathan's rants ( :thumbsup: ) Sue or take it personally. Everyone's entitled to their opinion & all that, if anything I'd say his is well informed rather than biased.

Personally I love my iPhone & it's done me well the last few years, it was ground breaking at the time but I have to admit some of the other options now available do look pretty tempting.

I'm not offended :thumbsup:, honestly Jonathan and Laura, just think it takes all sorts and wanted to say each to their own.

Anyway technology moves on so quickly these days it's hard to stay at the cutting edge for more than a couple of months.

I guess my rants can be a bit ott, sorry :thumbsup:

Seriously though if ppl are happy with their kit then great - I dont have a prob with it at all, infact I envy you !

• 2 weeks later...

About to download once I've finished here :dizzy:

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Downloaded. Photo geotagging is cool (OK I am sure its been on other phones for 35 years). Took me a while to work out how to run the task manager - double click on the home button.

How do you move apps into different folders?

Alan

Move one app over another (quite precisely) and they'll merge into a folder. You can then drag and drop more apps into that folder.

My Antigua pics are geo-tagged, it must have been doing it for a while but only now using that info.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

haha :)

What's seriously funny...What did I say ?

...phones since 1990's have had antennas similar to this insulated in the chassis but made from a much better/cheaper conductor than stainless steel (ie copper) and not earthed to a very large attenuator - ie your body. I take it Apple have done their research on this but grabbing hold of an antenna significantly detunes it.

The issue is, like 90% of people when I use a mobbly I get a slight sweaty on my hands (it's not the phone, it's the phone call....), that salty moisture is a rather good conductor _ie better than air or plastic - so the moment you touch two of the three antennas you're in big trouble.

If it really is true the antennas go through the case it's really really crap idea - basic RF physics, kinda important to know when designing a transceiver like a two way radio...

The best thing about this is as a cell phone connects and starts to lose power it will ramp the output of the transmitter up higher and higher to maintain decent signal and priority with the cell, that means the phone could be chuffing out up to a watt just trying to hang onto it's connection - so if you haven't already fryed your brain buying an iPhone, you most certainly will when using one :bounce:

The real test will be when people use it for making calls, bars only indicate the signal strength and can change for a number of reasons, it could be a simple issue with the scaling provided in the software that deals with the graphical representation of the bars - at the end of the day if it hangs onto the call, does it matter if you have zero bars ?

It does look good though right, and that's what matters...right ?....

You know what the fanboy's have said the solution is ?

"stop being lame and use the headphones" :rofl:

Or is it a ploy to get you to buy the mildly over priced official apple case for it ?

http://store.apple.c...mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

Why does this need a case when it's supposedly made of brick shit house stainless steel and 'woopydoo its on my helicopter windscreen' glass ?

:lol:

I love it...

"Just hold it another way you morons, and buy some new headphones and shit in my shop" rofl.gif

Just shows they know nothing about radio frequencies, it has nothing to do with attenuation, it's becuase you can physically touch the antennas....great idea.

Oh bugger!

I was just on the point of getting one as I have recently pushed a Kenwood blender into my left ear and turned it on at maximum revolutions. On cessation of said exercise this iPhone stuff was all seeming to make sense especially after I had visited vocal coach and learned how to say "Baa, Baa, Baa, cover me in mint sauce please" incessantly at full volume thereby drowning out all incoming messages for other products.

Looks like I'm going to have to rethink this whole upgrade thingy......

Regarding the antenna development engineer position... can't it just be adapted by banging a nail through it and jaming custard into all of the orifices?

Edited by wookie

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

Ahem ......

* Excellent communication skills required, both written & verbal.

* Detail oriented - taking data, using Excel, and making meaningful tables/graphs/averages.

Have i got it wrong?

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)