Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Setting The Timing - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Setting The Timing

i have put this in the esprit chat, as i don't think it is model specific.

my car has no low down power at the moment, so i have got all the gauges on it to get it running smoother.

the question is this,

When checking the timing with a strobe, where do do put your head ??

I know it sounds daft, but if you look directly down at the timing mark on the flywheel it can read, say 10 btdc, but if you move your head to the side while still looking, it can read 12 btdc. ( i have been moving my head to the side so the eye/pointer/cl of FW are in line )

the pointer is so far away from the marks on the FW, there is a lot of parallax error.

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have put this in the esprit chat, as i don't think it is model specific.

my car has no low down power at the moment, so i have got all the gauges on it to get it running smoother.

the question is this,

When checking the timing with a strobe, where do do put your head ??

I know it sounds daft, but if you look directly down at the timing mark on the flywheel it can read, say 10 btdc, but if you move your head to the side while still looking, it can read 12 btdc. ( i have been moving my head to the side so the eye/pointer/cl of FW are in line )

the pointer is so far away from the marks on the FW, there is a lot of parallax error.

You need to position your head so that the timing mark on the block (that you want the flywheel set to) is diectly in line with the centre of the flywheel / crank.

Andy

try again posting, bleedin thing reset its self halfway through,

OK, seem to be setting the timing right then, thanks Guys :rofl:

I think the balance is right - the only way i can get a reading on the carbtune2 is by turning it upside down ??

when we were using them a while back, they just stopped registering a vacuum (at least one good enough to show on the gauges ) they cannot break - 4 steel rods,4 tubes, 4 springs ---> that's it!

the car, if it is in good enough tune now ( cannot test - its flippin raining again :thumbsup: )

IS FOR SALE !!

the car, if it is in good enough tune now ( cannot test - its flippin raining again :thumbsup: )

IS FOR SALE !!

Don't do it Dodgy - you'll regret it! :rofl:

Assume it's to buy a later Esprit?

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' and 1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 286,000 miles and counting!

i wont be leaving, just changing to a later model,

and the car would/should still be around (if its sold to a forum member/newbie)

i cannot do anything yet, i just took it out for a drive, still not happy with power :thumbsup: HELP its getting me down now :rofl:

i cannot sell a car that is not right :D:

i wont be leaving, just changing to a later model,

and the car would/should still be around (if its sold to a forum member/newbie)

i cannot do anything yet, i just took it out for a drive, still not happy with power <_< HELP its getting me down now :unsure:

i cannot sell a car that is not right :wallbash::

If you suspect timing, it could be the advance mechanism at fault, allowing too much or insufficient advance at speed.

So, when you say lacking power, is all through all the rev range, or just one end of it?

Any mis-fires?

other symptoms?

Andy

below 3k revs it is reluctant Andy. it seems to loose any go it has by about 5000 revs aswell.

very embarrising as i cannot pull away from anything, i dare not overtake.

it does seem to be coughing and spluttering and missing alot too.

boost is showing at .6 bar max.

i have never been much for diagnostics or working things out, so these things just get me down. (not what i want right now)

Dave,

I realise I'm not helping, but could the problem lie with the boost?

I thought we could put out a whole 1 bar. At .6 bar, you're clearly down. Could it be a problem with the turbo?

If it helps, tomorrow and Sunday are suppossed to be dry so you should be able to tinker and test.

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

15 psi (1bar) would probably blow the engine Grayham, i am pretty sure 8psi (.65 bar) is about right for a LC engine.

Anyhoo :unsure: it helps an enormous amount if a 4 cyl car does not try and economize by running on 3 :)

i figured that i would do the test to set the air/fuel mix per cyl, so i took the leads off 1 by 1, and the one that made the most difference was working the hardest , and therefore needed to be adjusted.

this lead me to find out that Num 2 cyl wasn't doing anything, nout, zilch.

hmmm, maybe if i richen it up a tad ( did the checks and found spark ok ) got to 2.5 extra turns and still no change ? ok, i will turn it in a touch (i know :harhar:) so turned it back the 2.5 and went to turn it back another half............ but it was at the stop <_<

It seems i somehow missed setting num2 :wallbash:

car runs pretty good now - still not 100% IMO but quite close :lol:

Edited by Dodgy

Dry sump it may be, but Hemi it isn't. It obviously doesn't magically change its settings as you tell it you need more power, at least you got your finished, I'm still working on it tomorrow and probably some of next week.

We've all done things like that. For me its usually the extra wire I couldn't see where it went when I first noticed it, then forgot to look for anywhere it could go once I'd done all the others.

I only packed up for the evening at approx 10:15 when I realised I couldn't see anything of the bits I was supposed to be working on.

Andy

i know what you meen Andy, i am as we text , cooking my dinner/Tea as i have forgot to eat again :wallbash:

i do think however the timing was out aswell, only by a degree or two, but it must have made the initail difference, because the settings on the carbs are back as the oe settings.

good luck with yours :harhar:

teas done <_<:unsure:

Bit late to add this info...but back to the question on where to read the timing accurately.

There is also timing marks on the front of the engine (yes between the engine and firewall).

The reason I use these ones is my markings on the flywheel are faded.

'jus helpin'

Iain

OK guys, i took the car to work this morning (nice day) and while there, we have a test track, one part is a very long hill (for testing the torque of the tank engines), i previously tested the car and reached 105 before a trailer marker, today , struggled to 90.

is there anybody that can think of a reason why its lost its grunt above 4500 revs , it just seems to drop off :wallbash:

Edited by Dodgy

Dam, forgot it was Saturday ...... quiet on here!

really could have done with a little more to read as well, totally depressed now :unsure: , trying to get the dam car running properly, I have managed to put 2 big chips in the rear quarter above the drivers filler :wallbash:

really really really REALLY pi##ed off :harhar:

It knows doesn't it, it bloody knows i want to sell it!, its got to go now, i am getting angry with it, NOT a good sign <_<

'scuse my lack of knoweldge on your engine Dodgy:

Electrical - leads breaking down (do the check in the dark trick), Could be the coil if it is breaking down under load (replace it with a spare and retest. Dirty plug - (wasn't No 2 not firing for a while?)

Fuel - Pump, get it pressure tested. Float heights. Water in the petrol.

Do you have a rev limiter - and is it working (too much).

Iain

Edited by iainskea

Sorry mate............didn't mean for you to blow the engine up by listening to/reading my drivel.

I thought all us turbos could go to 1 bar :wallbash:

Perhaps I'd better get the books out again :crybaby:

Are you sure you're firing on all 4 cylinders now?

Are you getting enough fuel at the right mixture?

Graham.

"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Back to the timing setting question...some carefully applied white paint on the relevant flywheel markings makes the job easier, as you don't have to try to read the markings whilst it's all going on...I just mark TDC and the correct BTDC marking for 3500rpm (iirc) and it takes all the thinking out of it!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

Going off on a tangent Dave. What are you looking to replace yours with? Which model? Have you seen any possible/potential buys or you after something specific that you might have to wait a while for? Sorry mate, just being bloody nosey :wallbash:

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Ian,

I'll answer for him as he's probably still in the garage.

He's seen an S4s which takes his fancy (I took it for a spin and don't think it's up to Daves concourse standards) but he might also be interested in doubling the number of cylinders. He blames me, but I think the desire was already there many moons ago.

As long as his dry sump stays within the community (Kimbers !!!!!!) he's a happy bunny.

Graham.

• Gold FFM

Thanks Graham. Thinking of the same myself. My N/A has just had

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

OK here is a update, but first some answers :)

Iain , i had a rev limiter on the car once, took it off for the reason you offered :) cutting in too early

Graham, thanks for stepping in with the answer :lol: yes , have been busy working on the car and the garage :)

Ian, Graham answered correctly , a S4, S4s , or its looking like a V8 now although i may scare my self stupid in one of those............

Back to the timing / tuning problem

ITS SORTED :lol:

I went around to Ian Heighway's house tonight, and then snook back later when his GF had gone to work :)

within minutes of looking at the carbs - note just looking! He found the problem.

The throttle return coil was catching in the throttle arm and only allowing the throttle to open half way !!!!

a quick bend/ tweak and hey-presto ------FULL THROTTLE :)

while we were at it (i say we but Ian did all the work) each pot was colour tuned and the CO was checked, this has been another thing, it has been high lately, it is now set at 1%co.

Straight away, i took it back to the test area to check it and............................

the SMILE is back on my face, its seems better than before, absolutely brilliant

THANKS IAN , i was smiling all the way home :lol:

Edited by Dodgy