Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Best exhaust wrap? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Best exhaust wrap?

Looking for the BEST wrap to get my Alunox header ready for installation

I have been looking at a myriad of (seemingly) different tapes. Although some of them claim 2000F heat resistance, when you read  customers' comments, very often they discolor fast, sometimes become brittle and fall apart.

One of the 2000F tapes, DEI-101127,  due to how the wrap is weaved, if you cut across for a shorter piece it will cause the entire roll to eventually unravel itself as you apply it. Also, content of fiberglass is v. high and it sheds millions of tiny glass shards constantly, to the point it looks "fuzzy" after an extended handling (wrapping chore).

Another one, ARTR Titanium Lava Fiber Exhaust Header Wrap, sold on Amazon, has continuous temp rating of 1800F/intermittent 2500F, made from pulverized lava rock and stranded into a fiber material and woven into a proprietary weave.  Seems pretty attractive performance-wise and price-wise.

Can anyone shed some light on Samco wrap temp rating, performance and longevity ?   https://www.demon-tweeks.com/us/samco-pro-shield-titanium-exhaust-wrap-265990/

MrDangerUS

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Samco wrap on my former Golf, which I had rebuilt and tuned to 77 % more power, and It lasted 10 years. I used the car very sparingly and never in bad weather and never in Winters time. It did curl a little and got a bit dirty (I had the special big under engine cover with noise damping pillow on it, on mine), but never burned out or fell apart. No turbo heat on that car though.

Kind regards,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's not what's being asked and also hasn't been mentioned but... Often you will see ceramic coating being touted as a better alternative to wrap. In my experience, this is not the case.

I had my manifold coated by Zircotec at a cost of £300-£400 from memory. They say it should last about 100k miles. Mine has peeled, badly, twice within 5k miles. I've simply given up on it and will just leave it to it's fate as they want me to pay again as it's out of warranty. They are also incredibly slow.