Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exige S HVAC Control Panel Removal - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Exige S HVAC Control Panel Removal

Hi folks - can anyone provide some guidance on removing the HVAC Control Panel assembly from an Exige S?  This assembly appears to be one something that the otherwise very thorough Service Manual doesn’t provide any indication at all as to how it is fitted - or how to remove it from should controls need to be repaired.

The heater control panel backlight seems to have completely failed.  Despite turning the dash illumination to maximum, to ensure that power is reaching the panel, my heater controls remain as dark as soot.  As is, in the dark, you can’t see where the control knobs are positioned.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes.  It has always previously been lit, with variable brightness - until now!

The Lotus circuit diagrams indicate that the panel is fed directly from the main instrument cluster.  I am hopeful that it’s simply a dry joint - in the HVAC panel - that can be fixed.  However, I have to get the panel out to fault-find - hence my question here...

Edited by LotusPilot

10 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

Did it ever light up?   I didn’t think the Exige S was lit at all 

I was wondering the same.  I guess I haven't driven my car more than once a year in the dark, but last week I was thinking "well didn't that panel used to be illuminated?"... then again, the wiring diagram does read on connector A10, pin 6&7 for back light of the instrument cluster.

16 hours ago, LotusPilot said:

Hi folks - can anyone provide some guidance on removing the HVAC Control Panel assembly from an Exige S?  This assembly appears to be one something that the otherwise very thorough Service Manual doesn’t provide any indication at all as to how it is fitted - or how to remove it from should controls need to be repaired.

The heater control panel backlight seems to have completely failed.  Despite turning the dash illumination to maximum, to ensure that power is reaching the panel, my heater controls remain as dark as soot.  As is, in the dark, you can’t see where the control knobs are positioned.

There should be two screws on the bottom (through the alu thingy) to remove and then you need to push on the top, 2 clips left and right for it to pop out.

Edited by Kristof Thys

As a follow-up, seems that if you have the instrument cluster illumination turned down all the way (like I have), but not completely out on the dash, the HVAC controls don't light up.

Increased illumination level and presto, HVAC controls lighted.

20191207_121508.jpg

Thanks for the replies.  As I said, all used to work - with variable backlight controlled via the dimmer.

Kristof - screws are already out, but nothing budges.  Can you expand upon what/where/direction to apply pressure to release the clips?  I’m reluctant to get to feisty without knowing the “knack”.  From experience, I known that some bits of trim can be fragile.

Update - with screws out, the top two clips have been located and unclipped.  The panel housing (part #7 in Section 14.05 of the parts list) seems to be somehow fixed to the curved support section (#8)  that sits below the control panel housing (into which the two screws, already removed, engage).  The parts listing shows the support section and the control panel housing to be two distinct separate parts, but not a clue on how they are fixed together.  Unless they can be separated, I can’t see how it will ever be extracted as a single unit - and until its out, you can’t reach the connectors inside the housing.

Edited by LotusPilot