Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Pc Help Now Sorted - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Pc Help Now Sorted

Backmarker

Guys/Gals,

I tried to watch and listen to Adrian Heaths production on Youtube tonight but could only get the video, i.e. no audio.

So I tried listening to CD's and music already on the hard disc but again, no sound.

Earlier today I'd attached a phono lead to enable me to link my hi-fi with the pc (intention is to convert vinyl to mp3) but this wasn't/isn't connected to any external device. I've also detached it for my tests but it makes no difference.

I've tried headphones at both the speaker and the cd/dvd drive but again no sound.

When I switch the speaker volume up I can hear the feint hum in the background but no sound.

Anybody got any clues or suggestions (apart from "you should have left the bloody thing alone")

Is there a "mute" somewhere that could have been accidentally clicked?

Cheers,

Graham (sitting in silence)

Edited by Backmarker

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know which Operating System you're on, but assuming it's Windows of some sort.

Have you got a symbol in the task bar area that looks like a loud speaker (possibly with a red line through it?)

If yes, click it and see if the volume is set to nothing or muted.

Alternatively, start menu and settings etc, and check the same.

What about if you try playing a CD in the PC (not from hard disk), any sound then?

Andy

Now checked a bit further.

Apparently my default sound playback device is NVIDIA®rForceAudio ?

The mutes are not clicked i.e. not activated.

The pc says all such sound devices are working properly.

So why can't I hear anything?

Graham

"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Andy,

Got the loudspeaker icon in bottom right toolbar but no red line through it.

Tried playing cd but still no sound

Graham.

James,

I'll try a re-boot now.

Graham.

speaker icon in the bottom right hnd corner

right click

then

left click

'open volume control'

under cd volume what is the setting?

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Guys,

Thanks for all your help. Problem now solved. :thumbup:

It helps if you put the leads back in the right holes :w00t:

Apologies for being a wally :w00t:

Graham

Graham, I'd just typed the following and was waiting for you to report back after the reboot...

"I had a very similar experience after installing some new speakers, Graham. Spent ages delving into various soundcard/settings menus to no avail. Was on the point of returning the speakers as DOA when I realised that I'd managed to plug them into the mic socket :thumbup: Highly unlikely that you've done the same but... "

James,

I'm pleased to read that I'm not the only nump-head on this Forum. :w00t:

Thanks for sharing that with me. I can hold my head a little higher now :thumbup:

Cheers,

Graham.

er now you have the plug in the right sockets, does it all work? ie the vinyl to cd?

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Howard,

You're going too fast for me.

I'm planning my maiden journey tomorrow subject to Esprit audio matters (see other post) and kids. ;)

Loaded the software...........I think ;)

I'll keep you posted

Graham.

Been doing vinyl to MP3 for ages - have a dedicated computer next to the hifi - wifi connection so it doesn't have screen, keyboard etc - remotely access it to record the music.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Flash git........... ;)

I've gone for the 6 metres of cable to connect hi-fi to pc :)

Only time will tell if it works :)

Failing that, I'll drop my vinyl off at your pad and you can do it for me :)

Now why didn't I think of that before ;)

Graham.

they always say when buying hi fi start at he cheapest and move up the range, when you cant tell the difference in sound quality then thats when to buy, however I belive you can be educated in to listening for a quality sound, I also belive most audophiles buy on paper spec after a point

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy