Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4 With No Chargecooler Tank? Wierd Car.. - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S4 With No Chargecooler Tank? Wierd Car..

I just pick up a 95 s4 esprit, this car is missing a charge cooler tank the lines are routed to the radiator? my other esprit has 2 separate tanks. I'm not shure if this is factory or what, but dosnt make sense because its charge cooling hot air from the radiator! defeating the whole purpose of the intercooler. is there anyone elses car set up like this? this is weird I know I'm losing lots of power please help thanks..

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no expert but it sounds like it suffers from a DPO (Dreaded Previous owner syndrome) who has been fiddling about. I wouldn't think it left the factory like that. ;)

Do you have any photos of the engine bay and maybe someone more technically competent may like to comment

It's my (limited) understanding that you do only have one tank on the S4 onwards cars, with the GT3 this is certainly the case. The circuits do share fluid but for all intents and purposes bar topping up, the CC circuit is isolated from the coolant circuit when the engine is in use. If your chargecooler is warm to the touch (warmer than a can of beer from the fridge) as soon as you stop driving, it could be that your pump impellor has degraded and that's the problem.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

your right my impeller is probelly dead. why didn't I think of that. I also read that the newer models do come with one tank, its just kinda weird how can it cool running through the radiator? thanks for the quick responses guys!

Ok here the question.. I checked the chargecooler radiator in front and it hot so it must be circulating, an I followed the lines they don't seem to be seperated. the lines are connected so its getting heated up by the engine. what do u think? please help thanks

Hi,

Please have a closer look at you car next time. What you are saying here cannot be true.

The S4 has a shared header tank for c/ooler and engine-coolant, but this does not harm, because there is almost no mixing activity between the two systems.

The c/cooler radiator is on the front of the car.Its the one that looks very similar to a A/C radiator (actually it is one).

If the c/cooler on top of the engine gets hot (it should only get hand warm !!!) then you either have:

- a broken impellor in the c/cooler pump (= VERY likely)

- a clogged radiator

- no fluid in the system

Cheers

Marcus

I just pick up a 95 s4 esprit, this car is missing a charge cooler tank the lines are routed to the radiator? my other esprit has 2 separate tanks. I'm not shure if this is factory or what, but dosnt make sense because its charge cooling hot air from the radiator! defeating the whole purpose of the intercooler. is there anyone elses car set up like this? this is weird I know I'm losing lots of power please help thanks..

Marcus