Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Protecting fuel line in engine bay - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Protecting fuel line in engine bay

Spotted an unfortunate Esprit fire on a Facebook group and got me thinking about the bare fuel line that's in my engine bay to my carbs. Now I don't fancy replacing all the fuel line through the chassis any time soon, but I thought of other ways to protect it.

Do you think this would be worth getting to go around the line in the engine bay from carbs to as far back as I can go? Just a bit of protection from heat and possibly a bit of abrasion too?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNDELY-Colour-Shield-Protector-Sleeving/dp/B06XKFV7P5/

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
42 minutes ago, USAndretti42 said:

How would you get it over the fittings on the end of the fuel line?

Spiral wrap gives pretty good protection from chafing.

I was thinking of taking the line off the carbs and doing it that way. Still a bit risky with potentially hard line but that was my thought. Spiral wrap could be an option though.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, mikeeech said:

I'd replace the pipe entirely. The consequences of failure are too high and if it's the original pipe the likelihood of failure is also high.

If replacing, whats the best way to get it through all of the holes in the chassis that the original line feeds through?

I used copper brake pipe which fits inside the fuel line. A barb can be fashioned in the copper so with one person pulling and another pushing the original location can be maintained. I worked from the back to the front since access to the chassis was easier

• Like 1

I think I'm following. So a length of copper pipe that would feed through the chassis (and through the required holes). Then attach one end to the new hose and pull through. I spotted from a previous post you used an endoscope to check that you'd gone through all the chassis holes.

Sounds a delightful task!

• Haha 1

Yep it was an absolute pain in the neck. I'd changed the fuel line with the body off but decided to change it again with the announcement of E10 fuel so had to get a compatible pipe and redo it with the body on! Better to have peace of mind though and nothing compared to fixing a burnt out car.

I kept the original fuel lock valve but have put another one between the tank and fuel pump which must be a better place for it. I can't remember now where I got the fuel line from but it was specifically for E10 fuel from a reputable supplier.

• Like 1