Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
I need some front brake caliper help - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

I need some front brake caliper help

I ordered a set of calipers for my 91 esprit from our local autozone store. I got a left and right for a 1984 Toyota Celica.

There are slight differences though, most noticeably that the brake line connector comes in at a different angle. I'd have to bend or replace the brake line to make it work.

I think they will bolt up fine physically, except for the brake line issue.

Have you guys had this happen, or does it just sound like they are wrong?

• 1 month later...
On 05/11/2020 at 19:57, xmission said:

Thanks very much.

That pic of the front of the Europa in your avatar looks awesome btw.

thanks, it is my banks europa r62 (a cross between an europa s2 and a type 62) 

did you get along with the calipers? if I remember correctly they have a small fixed brake line and a bracket

I wound up with the wrong calipers the first time around.

I was able to find pics of what they were selling at one of the bigger parts stores online, and was able to match the casting number on the caliper, and was got the correct ones the second time around.

My Esprit is waiting for spring now. Essentially ready to drive.

I am mulling over that electric power steering mod though...

Buddsy, I've never seen the stainless ones for the toyota calipers!  I went for the nissan calipers/peugeot disc setup (I needed new discs and an overhaul on the calipers anyway)   

I would love to know how you did the outside diameter on the pistons as I need 1 new piston for my spitfire that has the blmc princess setup, I have a mill and a lathe but just wondering on the tolerance and surface roughness. 

rick

oeps we are hijacking.....  I have been thinking about a ad-on for the lathe to be able to grind down parts. something to think about this winter. 

thanks for the explanation! 

rick

20 hours ago, Buddsy said:

I have seen dremmals/air die grinders  used in lathe tool posts to internally grind bores. 

buddsy

I've been thinking about something bigger with a normal grinding stone as the dremmel stones wear very quickly, I have some 100mm stones to play with. maybe a cheap 115mm angle grinder with a solid bracket to connect to the tool post will do.  but for holes a dremmel is a good way to do it.

sometimes making tools is more fun than working on the lotus lol.  ( I made my own lathe and mill, had so much fun doing this) 

rick

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lotus-62 said:

me too, 

Having owned 2 S3s & a Stevens' Turbo my final Esprit was an S4s so I can tell you power steering totally transforms the car & is definitely worth fitting :thumbup: 

Cheers,

John W

4 minutes ago, jonwat said:

Having owned 2 S3s & a Stevens' Turbo my final Esprit was an S4s so I can tell you power steering totally transforms the car & is definitely worth fitting :thumbup: 

my '85 s3 is in pieces right now, I've installed an corsa D colum/motor.  it's just for slow speed (first/reverse) so I'll make an on/off swith on the first and revers gear stick position.  

• Like 1