Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit S2 anti roll bar. - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit S2 anti roll bar.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Steve/Pete, here is a picture of my anti roll bar. The steering rack arms on my car are very close the anti roll bar, the rack can be raised to clear it ( the mountings are adjustable ) but I am unsure of where the best position for the rack should be. With the steering arms level it is very close to the arb. The arb SJ sell has a kink or formed end as they say on their website which gives more clearance. I was hoping to get a used one, SJ want £234.00 for a new one. My set up works but I'm not keen on having the steering arms so close to the arb.

Chris.

IMG_1521.JPG

Edited by lotuschris

Right, looks to be the same as that on my S2, one which I intend to continue using. The rack tie-rods do get to be in contact with the A-R bar with suspension at full droop but this is a state rarely encountered and I've not heard of trouble arising as consequence. 

The car was obviously designed to be like that, but when you jack the car up the coil spring pushes the suspension down and the rack arms touch the arb. I can't say for certain, but this may be  the cause of my outer rack bush breaking up. I now try to set the rack height with the suspension on full droop and the arms just clearing the arb and then get it tracked in that position, I don't know if the rack is at the correct height, but the arms don't touch the arb on full droop.

If the later arb is fitted you can have the rack arms level and have no clearance issues.

Edited by lotuschris

The placement of the rack pertains to bump-steer characteristics, and that is the purpose for which Lotus designed the adjustment. FWIW.

I'm no suspension expert, but if the rack height can be adjusted what is it's correct position? When I get my car back together, I need to find someone who can set it up properly and then mark the rack position for future reference. Can anyone recomend  a good suspension expert?

Chris, some in the community have recommended specific service providers and may chime in here sooner or later. The process of setting bump-steer is a tad involved wherein one readies a toe gauge for multiple readings to be taken at a number of points of suspension travel from full bump to max extension. When done by the home hobbyist these are mapped on graph paper for review with a mind to minimise variance from one end of travel to the other. I expect the properly equipped and competent professional to use electronic gear for the purpose, however since toe measurement is such a simple thing then perhaps not. I've written up a fair summary of the process for owners doing bump-steer somewhere within these threads. 

I have the one SJ sells fitted to my car but mine is a very late S2.

Let us know where you are Chris and we may be better place to recommend a place to get the suspension set up.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I'm in Wrexham, North Wales. Demon Tweeks set it up for me about twelve years ago, it was better but they put seven washers on each side of the rear radius arms to get the right alignment. 

I would prefer someone who is used to working on a Lotus and knows how they are supposed to be set up. Nearly every suspension part has been replaced so far and I need it to be right.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Pete, there seems to be no problem of the steering arms touching the arb there. It looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a new arb from SJ's, there doesn't seem to be any used ones about at the moment.

• Like 1