Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Manual Tensioner question - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Manual Tensioner question

I've been playing around with a manual tensioner on the S1 and purchased the kit that fits the modern bearing as used in the semi-auto tensioner. My question is how does the bearing stays on the eccentric shaft ?? The old style had the nut retaining the bearing but this doesn't have any restraint. Photos show the bearing pulled in and out. Is it suppose to be this way? All help appreciated 🙂

IMG_0192.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

1977 S1 Esprit, in less bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The car's weakest part is the nut holding the steering wheel”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A second nuts is missing.

You will need a belt tensioner gauge, 2 wrenches, be able to read Braille, and a large box of Bandaids.

If you have had a recent Tetanus shot, that would also be a bonus.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, deecee said:

A second nuts is missing.

You will need a belt tensioner gauge, 2 wrenches, be able to read Braille, and a large box of Bandaids.

If you have had a recent Tetanus shot, that would also be a bonus.

I think you misunderstood the question. I know I haven't put on the second bolt but if you look closely at the eccentric shaft, the bearing can move freely with nothing to retain it on the bearing. The original manual tensioner was a different design and retained the earlier style bearing. In any case I've gone back to the semi-auto tensioner. 

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

Sydney, Australia

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

The bearing and the eccenter are an interference / press fit.

if the bearing can "slide" freely on the eccenter something is not correct dimensionwise.

• Like 1

Esprit Freak

On 14/06/2021 at 12:00, fjmuurling said:

The bearing and the eccenter are an interference / press fit.

if the bearing can "slide" freely on the eccenter something is not correct dimensionwise.

Thanks for that. It isn't naturally! not sure what is out of spec. I suspect the new eccentric shaft isn't correct. It's suppose to fit the same bearing used in the semi-auto tensioner. Oh well, no matter, went back to the auto....:-)

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

Sydney, Australia