Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Replacing the rear hatch cable on a S3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Replacing the rear hatch cable on a S3

Hi All

The pull handle on my hatch cable has broken. Luckily the cable is in place still so I can still pull what's left of the handle to release the boot. I've bought a replacement cable and handle from SJS and plan to fit it. I found the LEW instructions, linked below, on how to replace the cable on a S4. Do we, S3,  have a hatch behind the drivers seat like the S4 (cant see one on the parts manual) or do we need to find another way to get in behind the handle panel?

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EMaintenance/HatchCable.html

Regards

Jus

I have to say “negative” on an access hatch behind the seat(s) of the 1986 Federal HCI; much of my interior including seats is out and all I see is sound deadening material and some carpet—no hatch. 

• Like 1

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)

The tensioner on the 'release' housing is found above the drivers side fuel tank on an S3. But if it's just the cable that's broken, it doesn't need to be touched. I've recently replaced my cable 'just in case' and swaged it into the old handle, feeding new cable through sleeve. 

But perhaps i misunderstand?

• Like 1

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Thanks for the reply Simon. It is the handle that is broken, see attached pic. SJS sell the whole thing, cable and handle, so my intention is to replace it all. I'd be very annoyed with myself if I replaced the handle and two weeks later the cable snapped. I just dont know how to get to the other side of the panel pictured to loosen off the nut holding the handle in place. The S4 guidance is that there is a panel behind the seat to access the ECU in which you can get to the nut as well.

75632BDD-147F-4C8D-B37E-F932AED7CE14.heic

On 12/07/2021 at 22:22, greentengu said:

I have to say “negative” on an access hatch behind the seat(s) of the 1986 Federal HCI; much of my interior including seats is out and all I see is sound deadening material and some carpet—no hatch. 

Can you try drilling a few holes to see if you can get to it?

😂

• Haha 1

So, what happens if you release the boot catch end of the cable? Not as simple as it sounds as there are lots of 'bits' around each catch, but when I did mine, having undone everything, the cable and handle all slid out without having to undo anything behind the bulkhead.

On 17/07/2021 at 00:55, slewthy said:

So, what happens if you release the boot catch end of the cable? Not as simple as it sounds as there are lots of 'bits' around each catch, but when I did mine, having undone everything, the cable and handle all slid out without having to undo anything behind the bulkhead.

Very good idea. I started by freeing the cable at the far left hinge and started to loosen its attachment to the right boot hinge. Stopped for a coffee and read your post. I left the outer sleeve of the cable in place and instead I tried pulling the wire cable out. The cable came out easily and the new one slid in very easily and made it’s way through into the boot. I think the hardest part of the job was unattaching the cable to begin with reattaching it afterwards 😁

Rereading your first post Simon I now realise that’s what you were telling me to do 😂

now to fix the leaky boot.

Glad you got it sorted. Yup I found the connection fiddly too.

Good luck with the leak. Trying to remember how I fixed mine. I think it was just treating with a rubber restorer/conditioner

2 hours ago, slewthy said:

Glad you got it sorted. Yup I found the connection fiddly too.

Good luck with the leak. Trying to remember how I fixed mine. I think it was just treating with a rubber restorer/conditioner

Yes I tried that a few weeks ago but mine are very brittle and split. Actually read your post from 2018, you used the German stuff, gummi phledge or whatever it’s called. Same stuff I used.

out of interest Simon. I don’t have a/c. When I open the drivers window I get complaints the wind goes straight into the passengers ear, I have the same problem when  the passenger opens their window. Do you have the same problem ans have you overcome it? Not found anything through searching yet.

Yes! That's the stuff. So sounds like a replacement seal then.

Yes I have no A/C either. TBH, I probably rarely have just one window open. If I'm alone and open the drivers window, I'll usually open the passenger one a smidge as it improves the airflow. Maybe it's for the reason you say - I'll ask next time I have a passenger.

Si

• Like 1