Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Apple CarPlay headunit recommendation - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Apple CarPlay headunit recommendation

I had a Sony one before and didn’t like it to be honest.

a friends pioneer was nicer.

any recommendations, one which doesn’t have issues with too much glare from the angle it sits ?

probably try and find a used unit if I can, then is it a plug and play?

I got a pioneer AvH z3100 it’s decent level about £200 a few ago probably got newer model in range 

my old apparently lotus upgraded at the time unit was a German make can’t remember brand but was pants 

I think a £200 level headunit is sufficient I think it’s the speakers you need to spend something like the focal brand that lift the sound quality if that’s your aim ? 

• Like 1

I have changed the original to the Kenwood DNR4190DABS.

Wanted one with a knob for the volume. It has Apple Car play (android too I think) and a Garmin Navigation. Not wireless apple car play, but that is no problem for me. Sound is very good, just make sure you use the Lotus Manual for the Equalizer... 😉

And DAB with an antenna in the A pillar. Works all perfect.

For the few who know the difference

On 23/09/2021 at 09:13, Cdm2018 said:

I got a pioneer AvH z3100 it’s decent level about £200 a few ago probably got newer model in range 

my old apparently lotus upgraded at the time unit was a German make can’t remember brand but was pants 

I think a £200 level headunit is sufficient I think it’s the speakers you need to spend something like the focal brand that lift the sound quality if that’s your aim ? 

Is that Apple car play? 
I’ll like to have my phone hooked up for Google maps, waze etc

it has some sort of upgraded speakers 

8 hours ago, trcm said:

I have the Alpine ILX-702D, it wasn't very cheap, and I miss having a rotary volume dial, but otherwise it works very well (wired connection) to my iPhone.

Where do you run the wire out and rest the phone?

18 minutes ago, Celica said:

Where do you run the wire out and rest the phone?

Out of the glovebox and I squeeze it in between the console and seat as I’m only short so the seat is a few clicks forwards. 

• Like 1

I've had Pioneer SPH-DA120 and AVIC-Z910DAB in Evoras.  They're opposite ends of the market price wise, but both do a great job.

Both have capacitive screens so very responsive to touch, and I don't remember significant glare issues from either.

There's quite a lot in the Z910 that I don't need/use (CD slot, built-in satnav, dab etc) as I just run everything from the phone, but the main reasons I picked it were the capacitive screen (most of the cheaper Pioneers after the DA120 went back to a resistive type screen), plus it was one of the few headunits that supported wireless carplay at the time.

Wireless carplay is great for the convenience factor.  95% of the time I don't need to lean over and fiddle around plugging the phone into the glove box, I just leave it in my pocket.  I only ever plug in now if I'm driving a long distance with the satnav on the phone - just to keep the phone battery topped up.

Neither are 'plug & play' though - you need to splice the headunit harness into the short Lotus flylead that plugs into the main loom.  There's a few posts on here about is such as my Z910 install

Edited by nigelh
  • Like 1

at Apple car play? 
I’ll like to have my phone hooked up for Google maps, waze etc

it has some sort of upgraded speaker

yes It is apple android car play and I have the connection in glove box so once in the car I don’t touch the phone as I use the screen on headunit to control or select 

I am a hifi but and despite upgrading the sub and amp the door speakers would make a big difference 

• Like 1