Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New Brake Pads - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New Brake Pads

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My car came with ebc greens but I changed over to porterfield R4S compund pads and they are absolutely amazing in comparison. My car is an S4 with brembo setup I highly recommend these pads. Do some research on the internet, there are very few people that are happy with ebc pads and many that love the R4S pads.

The Porterfield pads on my 93 SE were extremely noisy...lots of squeal in parking lots when stopping slowly. It was almost like they had to be heated up to be quiet. They did stop well for the standard Toyota brakes though.

Next time give Hawk Black pads a try or HPS. They dust a little but their bite is awesome. I run these on my track RX7 and on the 6 pot Wilwoods on the Esprit!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Hi Guys,

I need new front pads for my GT3 and want to make an informaed choice if I can

So far I know you can get EBC Green Pads, Red Pads, Blue Pads and Black Pads, standard pads, yellow pads. The mind boggles.

what is the technical difference between these and whats the pro's and con's. Otherwise I have to go off anecdotal evidence like "Pads X good for me etc"

Two sets of Pads seems to be around

Edited by Alex --GT3--

Alex, as far as EBC pads are concerned Redstuff Ceramics are the pad of choice for our cars. The latest compound Greens are ok (unlike the original Greenstuff which were dire) but not a patch on the Reds. The others you mention are either track/race only (as in don't work until they're hot) or OEM equivalents.

As Mark said, the Ferodo DS2500s are also very highly rated. Can't speak based on Esprit experience but within the UK Subaru community the consensus between the Ferodo's and Redstuff seems fairly evenly split.

Don't think you'll go far wrong with either TBH.

Just FYI, the Black Hawks are listed as a motorsport pad, but with over 7 years experience with these on my very similarly weighted RX7 and with a little more power(ie 75more) these pads are the best I've used! I have used Greenstuffs, too weak. I have used Redstuffs(better than Greens but just that, better) I have used R4s porterfields, again, good bite but, only marginally getter than an in between greens and reds! HPS' are about as grippy as the Redstuffs, but tolerate high temps over a broad spectrum of braking input and sustained temps where the Reds tend to fall off as they retain heat(ie heated brakes on track) BLACKs by Hawk don't require high temps to get grippy, they are great cold, as I drive these everyday with both my RX and my Esprit. If you want competition pads, then do nothing short of the Hawk HT10 or BLue pads. The EBC pads, in my experience, which is A LOT, I instruct on track with the US Porsche club, Audi club and BMW club and have lots of track experience in all conditions, do not hold their performance when they get very hot or in sustained high brake torque stops(ie long straight aways, with sharp corners where maximum brake effort is required). The only EBC' that are suitable to track apps are the Yellows but again, they do not wear well and once worn past half way, lose their ability to bite when hot, ie they fade.

Just my .02 cents, take it for what it's worth. There are other manufacturers out there but I don't have experience with them. Good luck.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm