Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Front wheel movement front/back (new bushings required)? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Front wheel movement front/back (new bushings required)?

I assume that I probably need to be replacing bushings here. I have a couple mm movement from front to back with one of my front wheels. The movement looks like it's the lower link bushing. As much as I'm dreading doing it, I'm thinking of just ordering the bushings for the upper/lower/swaybar all the way around.

I did look through the forum and there's a lot of discussion about how difficult it is to do certain bushings (requiring a tool, etc), but a lot of this seems to be S1/S2-centric. Is it worth holding off on the upper links if they're not giving me problems right now? Should I do a trunnion replacement and ball joint as well?

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something else here (as far as what could be causing this movement). On the up-side I was going to swap my US spec springs for the UK red/red springs so I guess I have an even bigger reason to do the job.

1997 Jeep XJ | 1983 Lotus Turbo Esprit

Sounds like it may be the trunnion?   (the brass coloured 'thing' that connects the upright to the lower link.    If so, they are straightforward and inexpensive to change with no special tools or press required.   If they have not been changed in living memory, they are worth doing as a precaution, as they are a critical, wearing joint that often don't get serviced correctly.   

Also double check its not wheel bearing or top ball joint play.  All these are probably more likely than easily detecting play in a metalastic bush unless it is beyond shagged!

15 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

Also double check its not wheel bearing or top ball joint play.  All these are probably more likely than easily detecting play in a metalastic bush unless it is beyond shagged!

I just did wheel bearings, so I'm good there. The entire lower arm moves forward back, but I didn't see much movement in the upper wishbone. I would imagine that a bad trunnion wouldn't cause the movement I'm seeing (but I'm thinking I'd do bushings everywhere + probably a trunnion rebuild). There certainly does seem to be play in the ARB bushing, so I'm going to do that too.

1997 Jeep XJ | 1983 Lotus Turbo Esprit

The ARB is the only thing preventing lower link front-back movement so it sounds like the ARB to link bushes, already mentioned or the nut on the end of the ARB has come loose.
The service notes specifies a stupidly low torque for that nut, 6 lbft or something. If that is followed, it unwinds. 

It always seems to me that they made the spacer which fits inside the bushes too short. Using poly bushes and tightening up the nut tight, seems to compress the bushes too much until they are rock solid. I went back to rubber on mine.

• Like 1