Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Carplay, Android Auto headunit, front/rear camera upgrade journey! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Carplay, Android Auto headunit, front/rear camera upgrade journey!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great post! :)

I've just fitted the same HU in my new (to me) 400, replacing the factory Alpine 990 Nav unit - the fitment is a lot more straightforward in a 4xx series car - for anyone else going down this route:

I didn't take the glovebox out - just removed the plastic surround around the radio (pull towards you)

You can reuse the plastic brackets that mount the head unit into the dashboard. The 990 is double DIN all of the way back and has 4 screws each side, the 705 is single DIN apart from the screen. I just used the bottom mounting screws and made sure the bracket was on 'square' before tightening them up. 

The GPS receiver puck from the 990 has a different connector to the 705. I tucked the old cable out of the way and used the supplied 705 puck. I stuck it to the top of the receiver as there's not a lot to block the signal above it (just the switches). It's probably not recommended but it's easy and seems to work alright :)

To reuse the factory reversing camera you need an adaptor - I believe it's https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/kwe-cam1d but I'm waiting on one to be delivered to confirm. 

The factory fit handsfree mic appears to work, even though it's got a stereo 3.5mm connector compared to the 705 being supplied with a mic with a mono connector. It picks up phone voice commands well enough, but I've not tested it on a call when driving to check the quality 

The gap in the plastic piece you pulled off right at the beginning of fitment probably is too small for the screen on the 705. I had to carefully sand off approx 1mm all the way round to get it to clear the new screen. It appears that there may be a factory fascia available with a slightly larger aperture (https://www.bellandcolvill.co.uk/product?qs=1&MAK=1&MDL=47&TBL=12780&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0&PBID=1092646) but sanding isn't too complex, just time consuming...

I hope that helps someone further down the line :)

I'm glad the info was useful. 

My facia fitted perfectly to the 705 radio front, I didn't fit the alpine supplied trim round the screen.

For the camera I had to run the direct wires up to the head unit for switching the modes with the later multi mode camera.

If reusing the original camera the adaptor will be needed. If you have any trouble let me know. I have the connectors needed to make up that adaptor for you.

I think the 400 has a slightly different fascia setup - the Alpine supplied trims don't seem to be used on any models, but there's a faux trim surround moulded into the fascia itself, which needs sanding back a bit...

Hopefully there's a camera adaptor turning up today or tomorrow, but if I run into any problems I'll let you know - thanks for the offer :)

Next plan is to get the startup logo updated with a Lotus one - but the Alpine logo generator online seems to generate an error every time I have tried it :( 

Edited by randomusername

• 1 month later...

I'm reviving this thread because I just bought a 2010 Evora with a single DIN unit and I'd like to upgrade to a double DIN.
(1) How easy is it to remove the plastic 'case' that is under the single DIN unit; and

(2) would a standard Pioneer or JVC double DIN be plug-and-play?

I'm not (at the moment) interested in removing all the trim to add a DAB antenna or cameras. I might add a mic below the sun visor but that should be easy.

Iingterior head unit.jpg

Edited by Anthony Edward

On 04/01/2023 at 01:30, grog said:

I'm glad the info was useful. 

My facia fitted perfectly to the 705 radio front, I didn't fit the alpine supplied trim round the screen.

For the camera I had to run the direct wires up to the head unit for switching the modes with the later multi mode camera.

If reusing the original camera the adaptor will be needed. If you have any trouble let me know. I have the connectors needed to make up that adaptor for you.

Hi!

I just fitted the 705D to replace my INE-W990HDMI (Evora 400), did a straight swap with the previous Alpine loom, everything works perfect except the camera. I fitted the Alpine RCA adaptor, but the unit doesn´t detect the camera. I´m wondering if the harness fitted in my car is missing any connection needed for the camera...

I ordered the fascia for the "premium head unit", as the old one is too small for the 705D

Lotus radio harness.jpeg

On 04/01/2023 at 14:41, grog said:

ah, i haven't braved up to even looking at the startup logo. 

On 04/01/2023 at 15:22, randomusername said:

I tried the logo creator (https://cbc-configurator.alpine-europe.com/logo/) a few times over the past few days and it kept throwing up errors..

Tried it just now and it's worked fine, so guess it was hung over from the new year :D 

This is the one I used for the 705D, looks quite ok.

Logo lotus radio.png

For the camera, I also couldn't get it working at first. 

It needs to be enabled in one of the menu's,  some kind of setup/install menu from memory