Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2013 Exige EX460 in Norway: Returning from a complete engine failure - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

2013 Exige EX460 in Norway: Returning from a complete engine failure

Welcome and great looking car.

I have an Evora 410 and a VX220 that I have supercharged (much better drive than the turbo) and love them both.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Welcome and great looking car.

I have an Evora 410 and a VX220 that I have supercharged (much better drive than the turbo) and love them both.

Thanks! Yes, I haven't driven a supercharged Speedster, but I suspect they hit the sweet spot. 

• Like 1

I was thinking to give big thumbs up on the SV104 wheels, but then the reading went on was a bummer. Sorry to hear the loss, and I wonder if you shared the same post on the facebook Exige V6 group? Which the engine failed because of the oem oil pan?

I was on the same shoe as you, which been through the incident dinging the previous cars that didn't have a bumper (they only have clams), and it was a heart fainting experience to get over with.

This is a great car that you chose here, and definitely a good chance and upgrade the engine as how this car should deserve. Making it in a better form, and I say that you wouldn't regret it (I am doing the same too). Would it be a better solution if you buy another salvaged 2GR motor and fix the motor at the local shops?

Best wish to see it comes back soon!

Frank

21 hours ago, jerzybondov said:

Wow, what a thread - thank you for sharing!

Impressed at how calm you remained during the spin on the Ring - thats a high speed section and you very nearly got away with it without damage! Could have been a lot worse eh?

Thank you!

I've gone through that situation a hundred times in my mind. The car was going to spin no matter what, but had I applied opposite lock just a tad earlier, it would probably have sent me straight into the right side wall and pinballing between the barriers down the straight. Even if I got a small knock on the right rear, I consider myself lucky. No more mid-engined cars without ESP on the Nordschleife for me, that's for sure.

Edited by Stoelen7
Formatting

15 hours ago, El-RGB said:

I was thinking to give big thumbs up on the SV104 wheels, but then the reading went on was a bummer. Sorry to hear the loss, and I wonder if you shared the same post on the facebook Exige V6 group? Which the engine failed because of the oem oil pan?

I was on the same shoe as you, which been through the incident dinging the previous cars that didn't have a bumper (they only have clams), and it was a heart fainting experience to get over with.

This is a great car that you chose here, and definitely a good chance and upgrade the engine as how this car should deserve. Making it in a better form, and I say that you wouldn't regret it (I am doing the same too). Would it be a better solution if you buy another salvaged 2GR motor and fix the motor at the local shops?

Best wish to see it comes back soon!

Frank

Thank you!

You're quite right, I've shared my experience on the Facebook page as well. The OEM oil pan seems to be the culprit. 

If I had opted on fixing the car locally, I would have to deal with Norwegian labor costs (about twice that of other countries) as well as not having an official Lotus workshop with the right experience (bar perhaps one, Cartech). It would have cost the same or more, almost regardless of the engine option, and would potentially have left me with a worse result. So the Komo-Tec option made sense from the start.

Regarding the car in general, I am completely over the moon with it. I've fallen in love with the clean look of the early cars with body coloured roofs, the S/350 rear wing and the glass rear hatch. To me, it's peak Exige V6. Combined with the SV104 wheels and the EX460 package, it will be a perfect blend of all the best pieces. *Chef's kiss*

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stoelen7 said:

Thank you!

I've gone through that situation a hundred times in my mind. The car was going to spin no matter what, but had I applied opposite lock just a tad earlier, it would probably have sent me straight into the right side wall and pinballing between the barriers down the straight. Even if I got a small knock on the right rear, I consider myself lucky. No more mid-engined cars without ESP on the Nordschleife for me, that's for sure.

Having spun my Evora (on cold tyres, sport mode on so less/no TC), I’m with you on the snap potential of mid engined cars!

By the way, as a Nordschleife fan - you may appreciate this video i made of attacking it in my DeLorean last summer :)

Edited by jerzybondov

• 3 months later...

@Stoelen7 great thread and a hat tip to your VX220 save on the Ring - Skills 👌🏽

Unfortunately I can’t see any photos? There’s blue box and “?” On every photo.

@Bibs Can you do anything? This is super informative and useful for those thinking about engine upgrades.. 

On 15/01/2023 at 09:14, jerzybondov said:

Wow, what a thread - thank you for sharing!

Impressed at how calm you remained during the spin on the Ring - thats a high speed section and you very nearly got away with it without damage! Could have been a lot worse eh?

Never ever give up is the story here. Keep calm and work it. Love the handbrake action going backwards.. @Stoelen7 would make a good pilot! 

• Like 1

They're links to pics on Facebook and we don't have control of external content, they may have been removed or Facebook has otherwise broken them. Best plan is always to upload images directly to TLF and then they stay. 

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Ahh ha, understood. Thanks mate. 

@Stoelen7 do post photos if you’re still on here and have time, fascinating stuff.
It’s something my brother and I are considering with our car. It’s already got the correct Komotec exhaust.. just need the map, 200cell flow cats, carbon air box and a sprinkling of Komotec wizardry! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bibs said:

They're links to pics on Facebook and we don't have control of external content, they may have been removed or Facebook has otherwise broken them. Best plan is always to upload images directly to TLF and then they stay. 

This seems to be the issue, yes. The pictures still exist, but the links don't work for some reason. I'm not able to edit my previous posts, so I cannot repare the links, unfortunately. May be that I'll just delete the thread and repost all of it with pictures uploaded directly instead.

3 hours ago, auRouge said:

Ahh ha, understood. Thanks mate. 

@Stoelen7 do post photos if you’re still on here and have time, fascinating stuff.
It’s something my brother and I are considering with our car. It’s already got the correct Komotec exhaust.. just need the map, 200cell flow cats, carbon air box and a sprinkling of Komotec wizardry! 

Will do, but it must wait a bit - there might be an Absolute Lotus Magazine story in the works, in that case I will let them have the exclusivity of publishing the photos of the new setup first ;) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1