Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Elise S3 1.6 Reversing Light Switch replacement - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Elise S3 1.6 Reversing Light Switch replacement

Go to solution Solved by EuropaSman,

Hi I wondered if anyone can help me. I'm a relatively new Lotus Elise owner. I have a 2010 1.6 Toyota model.

My reversing lights don't work, the bulbs and fuses are fine. So I have assumed the issue will be with the Reversing light switch which I understand can be prone to failure.

My question is where is the switch located, is it easy to replace and where can I purchase one from? There seems to be plenty of information for the rover models but nothing I can find on the 1.6 Toyota.

Any help would gratefully be received

Thanks Richard.

• Gold FFM
  • Solution

The switch is located on the gearbox. A replacement switch costs £48+VAT from Bell & Colvill. 

https://www.bellandcolvill.co.uk/product?qs=1&MAK=1&MDL=22&TBL=11788&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=a132f6132s&SC=0&PBID=685726

The seal (A120F6043S) is £1.61+VAT.

image.png.bd398763209eade09eb1c6220799a562.png

image.png.9e1785824794f41df1259bc134c16a46.png

• Thanks 1

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png

Thanks very much @EuropaSman   
Is this something easy to replace? I assume I can access if I remove the rear defuser or is this hidden away just for dealers to replace. As I say I’m new to the Lotus ownership and still feeling my way around the car, finding out what can be done at home and what can’t be 😁

• Gold FFM
Bibs
This post was recognized by Bibs!

EuropaSman was awarded the badge 'Superstar'

Access to replace the switch is the tricky bit. I've not done it myself on my 2ZZ powered S3. 

The gearbox is on the passenger's side and the switch is on the top next to the gearbox mounting bracket. You might be able to access the switch from the top of the engine, otherwise I think it's the undertray off because I'm not sure you would be able to access the top of the gearbox by removing the nearside rear wheel arch liner as I think the rear subframe might be in the way. Happy to be corrected on that though.

The image below is of an EC60 gearbox that is presently for sale on eBay. The arrow shows where the reversing switch is located.

20230418_103134.jpg

You might be able to get at the switch from here, but pipework etc might get in the way.

20230418_103026.jpg

• Like 1

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png

@EuropaSman Quick update. Again thanks for the photos, even through the 1.6 is laid out slightly differently, your photos helped.

So found the reversing switch, and......... is not connected, cable has dropped off. Found the cable but it doesn't reach. It is possible it hasn't been routed correctly so I will have another go later and try and plug it in.

Once done I will post all photos here so if anyone else has the issue they can refer to my "guide".

IMG_3264.jpg

• Like 2

Bibs
This post was recognized by Bibs!

RCMBrown was awarded the badge 'Helpful'

Hi 

For those that may have an interest. Find the photos for the location of the Reversing switch on the 1.6 Toyota S3 model. In terms of access if you needed to replace the switch then it would be via removal of the undertray as the rear sub-frame looks like it will get in the way.

Luckily for me it was just a case of the cable had worked loose and dropped off, which I now understand is a common problem.

So the location is the left of the engine, on top of the gearbox but under a mass of pipe work, however if you are just having re-seat the connector you can get your hand round the back and put into place, then using a long screwdriver you push the connector into place from the top until it "clicks".

Again thanks to @EuropaSman for your assistance.

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

• Thanks 1