Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Alternator is dying, what are my options? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Alternator is dying, what are my options?

njgsx96

So the alternator is dead in my 1994 S4. battery light came on the other day. Testing voltage at the battery with a digital multimeter and it reads 11.x and using Freescan it reads 10.x-11.x. I did some searching but cannot come up with a direct replacement. Can anyone tell me where I can find a direct replacement and what the part number/description would be? Or do I have to go with a new one from Lotus?

Maybe somewhat related, after reconnecting th ebattery when i tightened the belt to rule that out, Freescan only got readings from voltage, rpm, MAF and coolant. everything else read zeros. Is that because of the low voltage or because the ECU was reset 2 seconds ago?

Thanks!

Rich

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any auto electricians that could fix it close by....??

If so shouldn't cost too much...

Simon

I asked a bunch of my car buddies this same question. Waiting to see what options I have locally. Figured if I could get an uprated direct replacement alternator at the local parts store, that would be great too.

It's a Valeo, and can be rebuilt. I had mine rebuilt here in Boulder Colorado for $109.

There is also a BOSCH that can be made to work

http://lotusracer.home.mchsi.com/lotustipspage3.htm

http://lotus.roadfly.com/turboesprit/2004-06/msg00814.html

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I saw the Bosch but I am nto into doing that much to make it work so I am going local to have it rebuilt. Seems like the best option.

out of curiousity, what is that black ooz that came out of my alternator and now lives on my AC compressor? Looks like syrup...