Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Can’t adjust the clutch cable enough…. - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Can’t adjust the clutch cable enough….

Benco

Hi, I’ve refitted the gearbox / engine back into the car and reconnected the clutch cable. However I seem to be completely at the end of the available adjustment at the clutch end and the pedal is still not at the correct position.

So reading the manual I need to set the clutch pedal some 16mm above the brake pedal, but sadly there’s no more adjustment. I’m also not easily feeling the 3mm ‘free play’.  It’s a 5 speed getrag box.

I have a new clutch plate fitted and the clutch pressure plate appeared to be in good condition. The release bearing was also good and was a secure fit with the clutch fork assy. Cable is properly seated around the pedal.

Appreciate thoughts, otherwise I guess it’s engine out time to see what’s going on.

Ongoing restoration photos on the Dropbox link.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, is that the plastic bush that fits in the engine casing just before the rubber boot? If yes, then yes I’ve fitted that, it’s a pretty tight fit.

Thanks, I’m up for checking everything before taking the engine back out again.

The pulley wheel looks good, I’ve not taken the cable off the car or pedal, so it’s the same.

it’s almost like I need to shim where the insulator bush fits the engine case, to move the cable ‘back’.

sorry if this is a silly question, but when the clutch plate wears down, which way do you have to adjust the cable?

• Do the fingers on the pressure plate move backwards, effectively pushing more on the pre-loaded release bearing. This then means you have to move the bearing ‘backwards’ by adjusting the fork backwards by unwinding the adjuster nut to effectively ‘slacken’ off the cable?
  • if I’ve a brand new clutch disc, then it’s thicker, the pressure plate surface is further ‘back’ and so the diaphragm fingers are closer to the engine?

If you decide to fit a shim I may be able to turn one up on the lathe for you if you can confirm dimensions - I got rid of my Getrag when I decided to fit an Excel SA auto gearbox, so all the associated bits went (I still have a new old stock clutch cable in the spares box).

Pete

Thanks Pete, my brain is aching working through what is effectively causing the fork to be too far forwards 🙂

Given the new clutch disc then I think that it could be:

• That the release bearing is sitting too far back on the fork. However I only saw it fitting snugly onto the fork in one way
  • That the release bearing isn’t ‘deep’ enough. But it was spinning free and appeared to be ok.
  • That the pressure plate diaphragm fingers are too close to the engine, because of the increased thickness of the new plate.

I do wonder about this last potential cause, would this happen if the  plate ‘spring’ mechanism is tired and the finger/levers are moving too far in, when the plate was tightened onto the flywheel?

For now I’m going to try and check whether the clutch completely disengages the disc when depressed. If that works then I’m going to see what effect adjusting the cable can make. Failing all of that then it’s engine/gearbox out to understand if the pressure plate needs replacing.

I guess that might be the case, just about to get the engine out again (and there must be a better way of getting the sump ‘mounting’ ears past the steering column… 🙂

It might be that the clutch fork is not sitting on its pivot correctly and so you are just pulling the fork rather than engaging the release bearing.

Drop the cable off the fork again and see that there is limited movement on the fork. 

If it wobbles all over the shop, then its detached from its pivot.

Not sure if it can be reseated without splitting the box from the engine.

Hi all, so engine back out and gearbox split. In the photos above I can confirm that the fork is ok, that it’s sitting firmly on the pivot and is moving well. The release bearing is set in the fork holder nicely.

Looking at the cover plate the diaphragm fingers are set back and when I measure them to the lip of the cover plate there’s about a 1mm difference from one side to the other. The distances being 8.3 and 7.3mm. 

So I can’t see anything obviously wrong, appreciate any further suggestions. Looks like I’ll invest in a new pressure plate to go with the new clutch disc.