Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cobra 6422 problems - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Cobra 6422 problems

Go to solution Solved by DH2,

Hello, I am new here. 

I bought an Esprit V8 last year. It was running fine and had no problems. It had no touch keys but I have two working fobs. Due to work reasons, the car had to sit for 8 weeks. My family moved the car while I was away and did not plug the trickle charger back in and it died totally. Neither of the fobs are working and the car is immobilized. I have since been unable to start the car. What can I do? 

Do I purchase a new CPU/Immobilizer/Keys set from the dealer (if they have one)? Does the Elise S1 bypass kit work for the Esprit V8? I live in the US and I do not know if anyone still works on these ancient Cobra 6422 here. 

I can't think of any correlation to running the battery down and the immobilizer.  The immobilizer is very easy to bypass, though it's not in a very accessible spot and we don't really like to advertise how to do it on a public forum.

Have you fully charged the battery since it went low?  What are the exact symptoms you have when trying to start?  No crank? Crank and no start?  What is the red light on the center of the dash doing during this?

• Gold FFM
  • Solution
Bibs
This post was recognized by Bibs!

DH2 was awarded the badge 'Great Support'

Try to re-sync the fobs...

Press and hold both buttons on the fob until the LED on the fob stops flashing, and comes on solid.

Make a long press (1-2 sec) on the large button on the fob.

(Note, this is a method for the Elise, but same 6422 system)

Dave

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

I can't think of any correlation to running the battery down and the immobilizer.  The immobilizer is very easy to bypass, though it's not in a very accessible spot and we don't really like to advertise how to do it on a public forum.

Have you fully charged the battery since it went low?  What are the exact symptoms you have when trying to start?  No crank? Crank and no start?  What is the red light on the center of the dash doing during this?

I turn the key and it won't start. No crank, no turning, no start. 

I have recharged the battery and everything electronic works. I haven't tested the alarm but I am too afraid as I might not be able to stop the alarm once it goes off. 

6 hours ago, DH2 said:

Try to re-sync the fobs...

Press and hold both buttons on the fob until the LED on the fob stops flashing, and comes on solid.

Make a long press (1-2 sec) on the large button on the fob.

(Note, this is a method for the Elise, but same 6422 system)

Dave

I'll give this a shot and let you know. Will this work without the touch key? 

@DH2

Thank you very much. This was indeed the solution! I am now going to look for a solution to get a set of fobs and touch keys programmed to my car. Having only one key, one fob, no touch keys is living life on the edge with these cars. 

Edited by voyance
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM

That's going to be a bit trickier, as you need a Cobra "Jolly" programmer connected to the alarm module, in order to program new touch keys.  And you need a touch key to be able to program fobs. Jolly programmers are a rare find these days, unfortunately.

I would also recommend replacing the internal backup battery in the alarm siren, before it fails, leaks, and destroys the PCB in the siren.

Dave

On 21/01/2024 at 12:05, DH2 said:

That's going to be a bit trickier, as you need a Cobra "Jolly" programmer connected to the alarm module, in order to program new touch keys.  And you need a touch key to be able to program fobs. Jolly programmers are a rare find these days, unfortunately.

I would also recommend replacing the internal backup battery in the alarm siren, before it fails, leaks, and destroys the PCB in the siren.

Dave

I wish there is someone in the US...better yet in California able to work on these. I am apprehensive about shipping parts and modules as a lot of these parts are obscenely rare or expensive.