Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Elan S4 restoration - Classic Elan - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Elan S4 restoration

MartijnElan

Hi everyone,

Just started on my Lotus; bought new by my uncle who resprayed it from Orange to Blue when he got it in 1971. My plan is to restore it to original spec (with maybe one or two upgrades like the radiator) and repaint it in its original Orange. 

We started the disassembly which is going well. Due to some cracks in the veneer of the dash I am considering refinishing the lacquer or get a new one. I prefer to keep the original one because of the white letters on the dash. 

Any advice is appreciated.

have a nice day,

Martijn

IMG_0903.jpeg

IMG_0904.jpeg

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Great car and congratulations on your project. Nice to know the complete history.

You can chemically strip the dash but don't respray with lacquer as it will just crack again but use a urethane as today, this is what most every new car uses on the exterior and it will never crack.

I used it on my Elite dash and exterior paint (check it out if you like, 

Love those old Elans and I would love to find one already restored. Also you will want to change out the rubber donnets on the rear axle half shafts as they wind up and reflex like a rubber band when a lot of throttle is applied. Not good. There are a number of newer cars that employ such parts like VW used on some of their older machines and others. I am sure someone on the forum can assist you in this matter.

atb,

Richard

Hi Richard,

thanks for your reply and for the information.

Looks very nice how you did it.

Could you let me know what products you used to chemically strip the paint and redo the dash? 

best regards,

Martijn

Hey Martijn,

There are a lot of products out there and one company I use quite often as they sell car related restoration products is Eastwood.  Here are some videos and other sources as well.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=chemical+striping+compound+to+remove+lacquer&t=chromentp&ia=web

Some would say to just sand the old finish off but it is a delicate job and very easy to destroy the walnut edges, as the dash isn't solid walnut but just has a very thin veneer on top with cheaper wood beneath and is easily ruined. This was done to a car I bought many years ago. A 1953 Jag 120 FHC so I had to glue a new burled walnut veneer over all the dash which isn't totally flat and was quite difficult. 

Eastwood also sells gas tank cleaner and sealer which is also a good idea with an older restoration and essential to having a reliable running machine.

cheers,

Richard

• Like 1

And for a finish, the product is probably near you and it is any clear urethane and easiest would be in a spray can, sanding slightly between, (600 git} coats ...maybe 4 coats or more. 

Welcome Martijn! Of mag ik zeggen welkom?

Looks like a very nice project, best of luck and do keep us posted.

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.