Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
sump fitting alignment question - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

sump fitting alignment question

Go to solution Solved by EXCEL V8,

My Sump (flat under a straight edge) needs a bit of rubber mallet work to get it onto the mbp bolts, and doesn't sit flush.

Is this normal?

I'm sure with the couple of dozen fasteners tightened down it would get there, but ought I: a) open up the bolt stud holes to get an easy fit or b) try another Sump?

I don't really want to have to do this again once it's in the car.

Until you can lower the sump onto the studs without it binding you won't easily be able to see why it's not lying flat.  Really it should fit over the studs without any trouble if all the studs are straight.  Do all the mbp studs appear to be straight?  I've got a spare sump you can borrow if you want to try another.  It's not the oil strainer/breather pipe causing problems?

I'll dig out my old mbp and sump tomorrow to see how easily they mate up - I don't remember them binding when I dismantled them (5 years ago!!)

Pete

Thanks Pete, the studs are new and look pretty straight - it's almost like there's a twist in something, although I can't see it. My old Sump was bolted onto a 911 Talbot MBP, through a fairly crude adapter plate.  I'm slightly worried it might have got distorted. 20240204_090832.jpg.e98b02309e077ef1493c0b81a6cd781b.jpg

I'm going to file out a point in the mounting holes here and there - it probablty amounts to 0.1mm on 1/3 of the holes. If it then drops on nicely and i can't see too much light through the gaps,  then away I'll go. I don't think there's an increased risk of oil leakage through those holes, as the sealant will be inboard.

If it doesn't drop on nicely, I'll assume i need a new sump!