Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Any Exige 4th/5th gear failures? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Any Exige 4th/5th gear failures?

Go to solution Solved by DH2,

From the researches I have done on upgrading the EA60 gearbox, there were many articles clearly stating that the 4th/5th gear had flaws which will ultimately fail at around 30-40k miles even without excessive driving. Many early model Evora owners continued to share such gear failure, which they had the same gearbox with Exige. Even Jubu had a well documented blog back in 2014. 

I wonder anyone here experienced the same problem? The Evora had close-ratio or sports gearbox option, which I'm not sure that Exige has such options (especially for earlier model Exige). Lotus had upgraded the gear by adding spacer inside. Here are the replacement info and part numbers taken from my research:

"Lotus changed 3,4,5,6 gears for their Close Ratio or Sports box from VIN CHxxx10452 onwards to B132xxx and later the specific 4/5th input gear identified in the video as problematic from PN B132F0047F to A132F0160F which is used in current production Evoras and Exige V6's.

Bicycle part Gear Household hardware Gas Rim

Main parts needed -
4/5 Input gear A132F0160F
4 Output gear B132F0051F
5 Output gear B132F0053F"

In additional, there's upgraded 4th/5th gears from MWR, which it is the same part number from Lotus. If anyone is interested, feel free to share some thoughts, as I'm not 100% sure to resolve this issue would whether required replacing the 4th/5th gear alone or the 4th and the 5th output gears altogether?

Frank

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM
  • Solution

All Exige had the newer parts fitted from factory as far as I am aware.  It was the Evora (with VINs as you have stated) that had the earlier type with the separate spacer/collar, that led to premature failures.  Certainly repaired a few on Evora, and none on Exige.

Dave

18 hours ago, DH2 said:

All Exige had the newer parts fitted from factory as far as I am aware.  It was the Evora (with VINs as you have stated) that had the earlier type with the separate spacer/collar, that led to premature failures.  Certainly repaired a few on Evora, and none on Exige.

Dave

Thank you Dave! Valuable inputs as always. 

I just cross referenced on Deroure between Evora S and Exige V6S. Exige has updated part numbers and sports ratio gearbox as standard! 

17 hours ago, pete said:

@El-RGBhas yours failed then

I didn't, but I went through some searches on this forum and saw some related matters from some old GFWilliams' threads. He revealed that his gearbox had a worn out 4th gear. However, it shouldn't be the same issue if this gear had different part number to begin with. 

Hooray Dave, thanks again for the clarifications! Cheers.

Frank