Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine removal 504 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine removal 504

Hello all

A fairly specific question, has anyone had experience in removing the engine from an Elite 504 while leaving the (automatic) transmission in place? I know the manual says to take the engine/transmission out as one unit, but seems to me that if the torque converter to flexplate bolts can be accessed through the starter motor hole, that it should be reasonably straightforward to separate them and just pull the motor forward. 

Any advice would be welcomed from those who have tried, succeeded and/or failed!

Edited by robertverhey

Never worked on a 504 but have done on an Excel SA.  With the Excel the danger is breaking the gearbox oil pump drive spigot if the torque converter slides forward unsupported while being removed from the flywheel/crank.  The torque converter "dowel" that is located in the end of the crank doesn't always come out easily - can be a little rusty - and drags the torque converter forward as you move the rest of the engine forward.  If you can find some way to keep the torque converter in place and properly supported while you move the engine forward I would have thought it was possible, but very expensive if it goes wrong!  What is the reason for taking out the engine separately?

Pete

• Like 1