Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
I got a wrong engine cleaner,Help! - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

I got a wrong engine cleaner,Help!

Hi, after watching numerous videos and reading online articles to clean my red V8 engine cover I bought a WD40 degrease. I just used very small mount and found it to remove the stain on the red block but also removed the paint. Hence it's going back.

Can anyone tell me what red paint is used by lotus for the cover of the V8?

And what I can use that is safe to clean the engine cover without damaging the paint?

I have attached photos of the damage 

20240531_154858.jpg

20240531_154907.jpg

Edited by Arv
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Gold FFM

ValetPro would probably have a product to clean your engine. I’m sorry but I don’t know the exact paint Lotus used but I’d strip it all and repaint with a high temperature smooth red paint.

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/05/2024 at 18:34, Arv said:

Can anyone tell me what red paint is used by lotus for the cover of the V8?

If its the same colour as they used on the four cylinder cars then Rover Vermillion is a perfect match. 

I don't know if you'll find it as a crinkle finish but you could touch up those white bits with it & no one would probably notice. 

On my four cylinder cars I used petrol & a soft paint brush for engine cleaning, worked a treat. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W