Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Need some advice - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Need some advice

Go to solution Solved by Dan Andrews,

Good afternoon 

While changing my fuel filter the other day I noticed a damaged strut bracket. Looks like some rivets or bolts have come away. 

Can anyone tell me if this is still safe to drive (structural) and if there's a easy fix I can do.

I have a 1000 mile drive next week for help for heroes. 

Thanks Dan20240614_150000.jpg.e8a79013251c77531c99fee206dd1024.jpg20240614_145009.jpg.04a1f4a18aad75bafbc40c9acfb2f6b8.jpg

20240614_145031.jpg

It's not structural as such, but obviously will need a repair, or the tailgate won't stay open with only one strut in operation. Personally, I'd leave it with one strut for now, and stick a suitably sized broom handle in the boot to prop the tailgate open until you've done the charity run.

The bulkhead is a sandwich GRP/wood/GRP, and there may be a studplate fixing. Check the Lotus parts manual, that should tell you.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Thanks for the info I dont think its the strut bracket its slightly below that looks like a cross member or the pannel the airbox is attached to. I will try and get a video or better pic.

• Like 1

Just had a look, mine is identical to yours, and it’s been like it for 10 years. It’s the engine bay panel forward fixing, and as far as I’m concerned is not structural.

As for a fix, you could remove the panel with all that entails and use some Sikaflex. It appears there’s no reinforcement in that area, and I wonder if the constant flexing and force applied to the adjacent strut bracket is the root cause.

Margate Exotics.

• Solution
1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

Just had a look, mine is identical to yours, and it’s been like it for 10 years. It’s the engine bay panel forward fixing, and as far as I’m concerned is not structural.

As for a fix, you could remove the panel with all that entails and use some Sikaflex. It appears there’s no reinforcement in that area, and I wonder if the constant flexing and force applied to the adjacent strut bracket is the root cause.

Thanks so much for taking the time to look, that's a big relief I actually found the original pics when I bought the car. After zooming in on engine it looks like its the same then. Funny I just ordered some black Sikaflex off amazon will see if I can make it look a bit neater.

Again thanks for your time and advice.

• Like 1