Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
88 Turbo tuning? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

88 Turbo tuning?

red vtec

After looking at Jonathan's post about GT3 upgrades. I'm interested in getting a little more power from my 88 Turbo. It has the RAM air mod and I will check to see what air filter it is running and will fit a K&N or Green if its standard. Is it worth fitting a dump valve? I will also fit an oil Catch tank.

What sort of power can you get from this model? as I gather it runs around 210bhp at the mo. I'm not looking for stupid amounts just enough to keep the chavs away!

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris,

is your MY88 a carbed turbo ?

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

After looking at Jonathan's post about GT3 upgrades. I'm interested in getting a little more power from my 88 Turbo. It has the RAM air mod and I will check to see what air filter it is running and will fit a K&N or Green if its standard. Is it worth fitting a dump valve? I will also fit an oil Catch tank.

What sort of power can you get from this model? as I gather it runs around 210bhp at the mo. I'm not looking for stupid amounts just enough to keep the chavs away!

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

yes it is, I think its one of the first stevens.

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Hi Chris,

For the carbed turbo you can go the classic route:

1. high flow air filter

2. high flow exhaust

3. increase max. boost a little bit (I personally would not go higher than around 0.8 bar)

4. check fuelling. It should not run lean at higher loads. If it runs too lean then adjust your carbs by installing different jets.

If done properly, you should safely get around 240-250 HP

What is very important with these non ECU-controlled engines is that no lean conditions will occur !

Cheers

Marcus

yes it is, I think its one of the first stevens.

Marcus

Thank you for all your help

Amateurs built the Ark

I chargecooled mine and also upped the boost along with the other mods mentioned.

It ran 265 on low boost and 290bhp on hi boost (1bar).

Both Marks page and Glyns page are really useful. Also see Arties car from the states. It is on injection but is now a tad extreme.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

how hard is it to chargecool?

Amateurs built the Ark

Depends on you definition of hard tbh.

The engine end is a doddle as you are using the stuff from an se/s4 and if you get all the parts then they are just bolt on. Probably the hardest part is the rad. I used the aircon rad (my system was shot anyway so no loss). It worked reasonably well. Electric pump and a header tank and away you go.

The turbo is the HC engine and has Mahle pistons and these are quite good anyway.

HTH

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160