Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fluid leak near right headlight - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fluid leak near right headlight

libby

Hi Gents,

Just got my Esprit home for the first time .What a blast !!

After I parked it I noticed some sort of dark brown oil dripping below the right front headlight.Also that headlight does not open fully.Is this related? I don't know what oil would run in this area :thumbup:

Elie

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gents,

Just got my Esprit home for the first time .What a blast !!

After I parked it I noticed some sort of dark brown oil dripping below the right front headlight.Also that headlight does not open fully.Is this related? I don't know what oil would run in this area :thumbup:

Elie

Yep. definitely a leak at the oil cooler. Either it is leaking at the fittings, or from the cooler itself. The problem with these is that sometimes the cooler line is frozen and you end up wrecking the cooler trying to get the fitting off. Keep an eye on the oil level until you get this fixed. You will have to remove several undertrays to get access, and another treat is that depending upon where your car has been stored, the retaining bolts can be rusted frozen. PB Blaster / WD-40 / Liquid Wrench is your new friend.

As far as the headlight it could be a couple of things...either the plastic gear inside the headlight motor is bad, the joints at the motor are loose, or there is some obstruction blocking the headlight enclosure. If it is the gear, there is someone on Ebay that sells kits to rebuild the motor plastic internals. The motors are from a early Pontiac Sunbird if you have a self serve wrecking yard near you.

The coolers are made by Setrab (at least the ones on my S4s)

From my recent front bumper removal, the passenger side oil cooler was part #315 LO. BSP 5/8" thread, and tubes 15-04, series 3

picture011oz7.jpg

Setrab is made in Sweden.

Good luck...more than likely you can find this part cheaper than at the dealer. You could likely find another brand too as 5/8 bsp is fairly common....just get something that would match the external dimensions.

Edited by Tentenths
Removed quote

I didn't see our model on Setrab's website, but they may have a model # that supercedes the Lotus model, or one that is better that will fit.

their website: www.setrabusa.com The catalogs with dimensions and prices are there, as well as dealers.

At least it will give you an alternative to the dealer if their price is crazy. If you take this in for repair, you better get a drink before hand, it will not be cheap.

Edited by Paul93Lotus