Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What's the worst job you've ever had? - Page 2 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What's the worst job you've ever had?

fmxa

bigbird.... I think I might have to take second place to you... wow.. that's definitely an awful job.... so now I have to add to my description: At one point in my carreer as a Vacuum truck operator I worked 100 hours in 5 days! Not only that, but it was -30 degrees celsius... and my truck had no starter, an alternator that was just about dead, massive air leaks, no heated valves (meaning that I had to steam them open all the time) and I kept getting stuck in snow that was 1-1.5 metres deep!! At one point I was so stuck that we had to have another vacuum truck come over and hook up to the front of the winch truck to pull me out... and because I had a really bad air leak and no starter... my brakes were locked on and therefore I needed the service truck and about 20 metres of air hose to "air up" my truck... I was soo delerious after that experience that when I got the truck back to the shop after being awake for 35 hours on virtually no sleep previous... I stayed in the shop and fixed a lot of the 2 page list of problems!! MAN am I happy to sell cars now!

Edited by Mark T-C

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant match the uggh content above but can easily match the boredom. At school I had a home job "assembling" rawlbolts. Bolt, expander, spacer, washer, nut - a big sack of each. Put them together - 50 per box for a few pennies. Earnt about

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

On the poo front, I worked at the local veterinary hospital a the height of the parvovirus epidemic at the end of the '70s, before vaccines were available. Projectile vomit & diarrhoea all over the place! The worst part though was seeing the dogs suffering, not many made it. It had its compensations though - it was the largest vet hospital in the country at the time, with a constant throughput of nubile student nurses living over the shop :blink:

Probably the most stressful job I had was serving in the beer tent at the St Helens show. It was the hottest weekend of the year, 20 deep at the bar and everyone wanting ice cold lager. The problem was the kegs were really warm so the beer was just froth. After passing through the coolers you'd get a lovely pint of ice cold meringue. It took about 5 minutes to pour each pint. Behind the bar was like the Somme. As if that wasn't stressful enough, there were loads of people who would try it on - placing an order for 10 drinks, then just one more. While you were pouring that one, they'd scarper. Still, that job also had its compensations - we got absholutely plashtered at the end of the day.

Best "job" was probably roadying for all the gigs at uni. Got to have a meal with Slade (top blokes), played footie with Gary Glitter (long before his fall from grace), and chain-smoked enormous spliffs with Aswad. Happy daze!

Phil

More speed, less haste

I've done my veterinary stint - it was great apart from seeing poorly animals and not always being able to fix them. On the other hand amputating legs/eyes (from a cat and rabbit but not at the same time) was really interesting, as was helping deliver puppies. Oh yes, I also had to do Christmas Day shift at the veterinary hospital, that really was miserable.

Apart from that it's been changing stinky nappies while nannying :)

Isn't it incredible how many people have poo involved in their jobs...

LouX

post-1-039744300201278592955.jpg

worked as aservice engineer for a local firm that made disabled bath chair lifts, needless to say when they came in for repairs i had to tkae them outside and blast them with a pressure gun and a steriliser solution.. lots of old skin, dentures and various other things would fall out of the chairs undersides and lots and lots of stink.

ahhh..... more poo. :)

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Stacked shelves in the local store on a Saturday morning for 30p/hour - was blamed for nicking Marathon bars and sacked - didn t even like them!!.

The place stank where the food stuff was kept and the owner was sh*gg*in one of the checkout women :) who was old enough to be my gran - was 15 at the time so this is a bit of a scoop for LEF - watch for The Sun front page tomorrow!! Gonna squeal :)

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?