Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fuel filler.... - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fuel filler....

espritpassion

HI all

Sorry for my perhaps stupid or common question, but I don't know why the latest ESPRIT have only 1 fuel filler???

My GT3, with the last internal like V8, have one fuel-filler (on the left side), other old Esprit have the fuel filler also on the right side and the driver can choose (when he is on the petrol station) which open..... I don't know if this is because the old esprits have 2 fuel TANKS, and why they have 2 fuel tank????

In my GT3 I can open only the left side, infact the bottom open only this...........but THE RIGHT SIDE IS CAN'T BE OPEN???? IT'S ONLY FOR THE CAR LOOKs???!???????????????????????

thanks for your explanation

Alessandro

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Alessandro,

I'd guess that the Esprit has 2 fuel sadle tanks to balance the mass in the car and get the centre of gravity as low and central as possible. It they went for a single large tank with the Esprit layout, I'm not sure how they would have been able to package it. Maybe at the expense of the boot space.

The reason for the GT3 having only one filler is probably down to cost savings and a bit of weight reduction.

Hopefully someone will post who knows the reasons.

Regards,

Peter.

HI all

Sorry for my perhaps stupid or common question, but I don't know why the latest ESPRIT have only 1 fuel filler???

My GT3, with the last internal like V8, have one fuel-filler (on the left side), other old Esprit have the fuel filler also on the right side and the driver can choose (when he is on the petrol station) which open..... I don't know if this is because the old esprits have 2 fuel TANKS, and why they have 2 fuel tank????

In my GT3 I can open only the left side, infact the bottom open only this...........but THE RIGHT SIDE IS CAN'T BE OPEN???? IT'S ONLY FOR THE CAR LOOKs???!???????????????????????

thanks for your explanation

Alessandro

I take it that there is a LARGE ballance pipe between the tanks then ????

On my S1 you have to fill both tanks because the ballance pipe is only about 1/4 inch diam.

I hope that doesnt mean on my GT3 that i can only get a half fill in then have to wait for 30 mins till it levels out ???????

Weight saving is my bet - I would love to have 2 fillers like on the SE :thumbup:

Can't be that hard to mod ?

Lotus changed the set up so in the RH tank you have both the fuel sender and pump. I did look into changing to a 2 filler, it can be done but not as straight forward as it first appears

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

All you need is double the parts ?

Shouldn't be that hard unless I am missing something.

As far as I know I've never had any probs with fueling with the balance pipe, even filling up.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

All you need is double the parts ?

Shouldn't be that hard unless I am missing something.

As far as I know I've never had any probs with fueling with the balance pipe, even filling up.

I think what makes it difficult is the fact that the previous cars had a pump one side and a sender unit one side, then a filler both sides.

They changed it to filler one side, pump and sender the other, so the available surface are to put the fadditional filer was already used. You would have to re-locate one of the items like the sender unit to have enough area to put the filler spout in.

Andy

You would have to re-locate one of the items like the sender unit to have enough area to put the filler spout in.

Oh, and there was me just about to use a hole saw cutter :thumbup:

How un-thoughtful of Lotus to not pre-empt that I might forget where the filler is from time to time.

What i do love about the other cars, you just pull up and open which ever one you care to use.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk