Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
speedo and handbrake not working - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

speedo and handbrake not working

Setras

Out for a drive yesterday and my speedo stopped working...... ie outside lane of M3 overtaking everything in 5th at about 4000rpm and the speedo said 0mph with a ticking from behind the dial, ODO has also stopped working so assume it is the cable....... got home and put the car in the garage and pulled the hand brake only to have it drop to the floor and the car roll backwards....... So left it in gear. Searched the forum and found a few relevant posts but was wondering the best place to source a speedo cable and how easy is the binnicle to remove to allow a change want to do this at the weekend

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It may simply be a loose connection at the back of the speedo head. But before you even attempt removing the binnacle I'd suggest you firstly check the speedo cable to gearbox connection.

If that proves okay move on to the binnacle. For this you'll find Paul C's guide to be invaluable - clicky. It can be done single-handed but it's much easier with an extra pair of hands, particularly during the re-installation.

Incidentally, when it comes to speedo/cable fault finding a variable speed electric drill is incredibly useful.

I hope, for your sake, the cable proves not to be at fault as they're certainly not cheap. Sources - usual suspects such as SJ Sportscars, PNM etc.

If the speedo head itself is the culprit (as is quite often the case) you can have it repaired/overhauled by JDO Instruments for around

Good Luck with the cluster. Getting it off is the easy bit - trying to do work in there is another thing. you'll need the hands of a rubber man.

Cluster1.jpg

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017