Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
replacement / uprated bulbs - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

replacement / uprated bulbs

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just stick brighter bulbs in. Anything over 55/60W is illegal so be prepared to get pulled over if you put a higer wattage bulb in. Also check your wiring for increased load. I have 100W bulbs in mine for past 2.5 years with no problems and MOT passes each year (Very strict MOT place).

Failing that, buy a good quality brighter bulb that's 55W rated (30% brighter)

Just stick brighter bulbs in. Anything over 55/60W is illegal so be prepared to get pulled over if you put a higer wattage bulb in. Also check your wiring for increased load. I have 100W bulbs in mine for past 2.5 years with no problems and MOT passes each year (Very strict MOT place).

Failing that, buy a good quality brighter bulb that's 55W rated (30% brighter)

I've done the same and have 100w in all four headlights and it makes a big difference. The headlamp circuit's not fused but it's still within the capacity of the relay so the wiring should be up to it. Never failed the MOT or been pulled over. With a lot of cars using HID lamps I doubt you would get pulled over since they effectively they use a loophole in the law by drawing less current but producing three times the light output.

The other important thing is how the headlights are aimed. I think legally the cut off should be between 1' and 2.5' below the horizon but you often find them aimed lower than this. Make sure they're aimed as close to the horizon as possible - 1' or perhaps even a bit less (the headlights on the Esprit are relatively close to the ground so you're unlikely to dazzle oncoming drivers unless they're actually pointing up).

But if you did have an accident at night be sure so swap the original 55/60s back, in case the third party claimed he was dazzled and they inspect your car!

I've also doubled all the interior, front trunk and rear trunk lights from 5w to 10w (or was it 10w to 20w?). Again, no fuse changes.

Finally I changed the reverse lights from 20w to 55w each. Now that did require a fuse change from 7.5A to 10A but you use the reverse lights so little it shouldn't cause a problem - I haven't had any. Rear visibility in the Esprit isn't exactly the best even in broad daylight, so the really helps at night.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Might be an idea to check the state of the reflectors first.

Mine looked really bad when I changed the headlights last month and that was on a 2002 car!

It is certainly a lot brighter now - with the same bulbs.

Finally I changed the reverse lights from 20w to 55w each. Now that did require a fuse change from 7.5A to 10A but you use the reverse lights so little it shouldn't cause a problem - I haven't had any. Rear visibility in the Esprit isn't exactly the best even in broad daylight, so the really helps at night.

Excellent idea!

Another job for the weekend.

I replaced my units with H4 reflectors

much nicer and and brighter even using 55w bulbs

pics are on my website, though they were taken

after a jaunt in the rain

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND