Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GT3 Questions - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

GT3 Questions

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gordon,

Some of your questions answered.

Oil pressure: mine never goes above 4 bar and it seems to be ok, so it sounds like yours is ok.

Clock: Clocks not broken, you just push the spindle in with a pen and hold then it adjust, took me sometime to work that one out!

Clutch: Clutch is very heavy, in traffic jams I'm always taking the car out of gear, just can't sit and hold it down for too long.

Front indicators: these come from the late Elans, I will pm you later a guy from the forum who has some for sale (just lenses), I replaced mine as they had discoloured and the screws were all rusty.

Spare wheel: Wouldn't bother with tyre compound, I hear they make the tyre worse, so it's not possible to repair the tyre even so you may end up having to buy new. Just have breakdown cover.

Tyre pressures: should be in the green manual if you got one with the car. I but 29psi in mine, but I have V8 wheels.

Brakes: My brakes feel like they rumble, it's the ABS working so I'm told. Always managed to stop.

Temperature: seems about right, it will creep up in stationary traffic, hitting 90 degrees. I've had to switch it off before now if it's too long.

Indicator stalks: Mine don't cancel correctly, it's something I've got to look at, I think the canelling device may be up side down in mine, well I hope it's simple like that, won't know until I look.

Air Con: don't have it so can't comment.

Engine noise: unless it sounds really bad, it's perhaps normal, I hear loads of noises in mine.

Hope this helps.

Owen

Can't answer ecerything, but;

Ckutch is heavy as ****. Mine had a new one in and stillis one of the heaviest in any car I've driven

Stalk cancelling like Owen says could be down to the position of the pin wheel if the steering wheel has been off. If the stalks are worn I think they are Calibra.

Spare - I carry two tins of sealant in case a back tyre goes, but would just call the RAC if it wasn't in the middle of the Gobi desert or somewhere. If you wanted to keep an eye out for a used spare wheel the jacks were a tenner in the factory sale

Engine noise is normal Dyson hoover circa 1998

Tyre pressures from memory 29.5 front, 30.5 rear

Aircon nozzle, I'm sure someone said it was at the front of the engine bay from underneath. I'll find out soon as mine needs regassing too.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Hello Gordon,

I am relativelly new to S4 ownership having owned several latish G shape cars and a sport 350 so I have had many the same thought as you over the last few weeks! Let me see if I can help!

The oil pressure on mine .the guage when hot is at vertical and when ticking over ,just to the left of that .It doesn't get too near the red.Having said that I have read a dozen posts where people have said that oil pressure just above the red at tickover is normal.As long as it rises with revs from there I think you are ok so do not worry .Obviously just check the oil levels etc as I am sure you have.P.O's are not always as caring as we are !!!!!!

75 to 80 degress is where mine sits in traffic,no higher.Haven't had it ibn a jam on a hot day but yours sounds normal. Mine goes less than that on the move though in this weather !!

Brakes; Depends which ABS system you have.If you have the earlier Delco system just look at my thread or any of the others in relation to this on these cars.Basically I think that if your car stops as well as a normal car would then it is working.The brakes feel about the same as my late G turbo felt .They do feel a bit "wooden" and you can feel like a varying pressure through the pedal (sometimes but they work quite well all the same.(I have the black Brembo front calipers on mine ). You should also hear the pump under the bonnet click in after several pedal pushes to build the brake asistance pressure up again.Listen for this.

Light and day compared with the 350 !!! If the system is not working properly ,likely is the ABS light will be on and you will need both feet to slow the car down.Thats how mine felt when I picked it up.It needed

Temperature: seems about right, it will creep up in stationary traffic, hitting 90 degrees. I've had to switch it off before now if it's too long.

Owen, is your rad free of detritus and are all 3 fans working? The fans should be more than capiable of keeping the coolant within spec if everything is working ok. I'd have a quick check if I were you.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Oil pressure

Idle it's quite low, when it's going about 1/2 way I guess.

Temperature

TBH use freescan to ascertain the correct temperature - the dashboard gauge is a guide only. If it's a bit low take the wire off the sender (just above the water pump) and run a brass brush over it to clean it and then re-connect. Car runs at about 82-85 degrees, fans are 92 degrees iirc.

Brakes

Normal :blush:

Instrument binnacle

Guide is on LEW iirc Paul C done it - there is 1 bolt that secures the lot on and 2 side screws under the side of the binnacle where the switches are - be careful taking it off, lots of people crack the screen !

Spare wheel

Use AA cover hehe

Clutch

Normal :D

Engine Noise

The standard car does sound a bit tame but not squeely imo. Might be the alternator or something on the pullies giving out or a bit of water in somewhere.

Indicator Stalk

Calibra - get them for about

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Owen, is your rad free of detritus and are all 3 fans working? The fans should be more than capiable of keeping the coolant within spec if everything is working ok. I'd have a quick check if I were you.

Hi,

My fans are working because when I was checking for the brake noise using my mic I could hear the fans cut in when it was in the front compartment. The front is free of blockages as well.

The time I did switch it off, which has been the only time was because the traffic stopped due to an accident so we were sitting for about 1/2 an hour. The temperature gauge has never gone over 100.

Owen.

Turning off when you're stuck in a non-moving jam for ages is good common sense, shouldn't be anything to do with overheating. I was under the impression from your post that you turned off due to the temp getting too high in traffic.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Turning off when you're stuck in a non-moving jam for ages is good common sense, shouldn't be anything to do with overheating. I was under the impression from your post that you turned off due to the temp getting too high in traffic.

Yeah, perhaps didn't word it quite clearly the first time. :blush:

Great to hear your first impressions of the GT3. As Owen says most seem to be GT3 traits.

Intereseted to hear about the overheat problem. I had the same problem with the tempearture creeping up, switching off and having the heater on full temperature got me through. I've just checked out the fans and they are not switching in. Anyone know where the thermostat or Otter switch (if the GT3 has one?) thingy is? :blush: .

Also would love to hear your thoughts when you first try to work on the GT3.