Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Proton to sell Lotus? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Proton to sell Lotus?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lotus just has never been able to get it together finacially... Everytime things look good, bam! and off they go again. I doubt Lotus will ever become as stable as Mazda or Ferrari until they get a good backer or get into a position to issue stock and generate "home grown" funding. The Elise is selling like hot cakes and the interest in te mark is as high as it has ever been!

I hope this does not translate into production delays for the Eagle and Esprit...

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

if i had the money, i would buy lotus, and revive the F1 team. that would be my dream come true. on top of that i would build cars that are niche cars, elise and esprit and even a 5 series competition. light weight, great handling, twin turbos, lots of fun.

Same here with the exception of F1. The series really has crapped out thanks in part to the powers that be. After the slap in the face to the US fans, interest here dropped off totally. The recent rules crap etc. have only contributed to the lack of interest and support. Even the teams were talking about a split not long ago!

I'd return 'em to sports car / endurance racing and the road cars would be as they should be... light wt and fun to drive!

Cameron

Edited by Autocross7

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

It seems the "unnamed sources" are less than well informed. Can't remember when Lotus last built an engine but it must be a good few years ago.

"It is believed the interested party...expressed a desire for the controlling stake in the high-performance engine manufacturer...." the Malaysian Reserve said, quoting unnamed sources.

Many companies have discovered over the last 30 years that owning Lotus seems like a good idea, but isn't.

I never give up hope of a bright future for Lotus but it's been pure agony watching the company limp from one foster home to another.

My dream? A slightly enlarged Elise with a V6 behind the driver in JPS black & gold colour-scheme!

John,

Lotus may not build engines, but they do design a lot of them. I think that they quote 1 in 10 car engines in Europe has had some work done on it by Lotus. So they have a fair amount of experience with engines. Have a look here in the guided tour section http://www.grouplotus.com/eng/

Regards,

Peter.

Brunei?!! I once embarked the Sultan of Brunei's entourage through Heathrow's General Aviation Terminal. Medical staff, massueuses..and about 40 young ladies, all between the ages of 22 and 28, on short term contracts, iirc. Duties unspecified!! If he can afford that, he could certainly afford to finance the Lotus F1 team...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Brunei?!! I once embarked the Sultan of Brunei's entourage through Heathrow's General Aviation Terminal. Medical staff, massueuses..and about 40 young ladies, all between the ages of 22 and 28, on short term contracts, iirc. Duties unspecified!! If he can afford that, he could certainly afford to finance the Lotus F1 team...

With 40 Ladies you say. Probably with Prince Jefri in tow then.

• Gold FFM

http://www.leftlanenews.com/proton-to-sell-lotus.html

<H2 style="MARGIN-TOP: 7px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px">Proton to sell Lotus?</H2>

An unknown Malaysian automaker has approached Proton Holdings about the sale of its Lotus brand, a new report finds. Proton purchased a 63.75% stake in the British automaker in 1996 for $81 million. Lotus is best known for its light-weight sports cars and its auto engineering consultancy.

Proton had been in negotiations with Volkswagen about a possible alliance, but the deal collapsed and talks were suspended last month. Since the falling out, Proton's stock has tumbled nearly 25%.

"It is believed the interested party

Edited by Tentenths
Threads merged

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

• Gold FFM

Thanks!! I though I lost my mind when I could find the first post.... ;0

Edited by Quikr

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....