Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHH! - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!

Tony K

Oh no! I went to click on a YouTube link to get my morning dose of Esprit in action, and my company's server has blocked access!!! The end of the world is nigh!

(lol) :D

Seriously, though, is there a mirror site or some way to circumvent these things? The only computer I have is my work computer (I work from home).

- T

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have to connect up to to your work computers via terminal services or remote desktop? (I'm assuming a MS Windows computer here).

If so, it should be possible to browse the internet without connecting to either of those services. I have read somewhere recently that even using those services, there is a setting somewhere that allows you to browse the internet without using the servers at work.

I'll have a look and see if I can find the information about that for you and I'll post it if I can find it.

Do you have to connect up to to your work computers via terminal services or remote desktop? (I'm assuming a MS Windows computer here).

If so, it should be possible to browse the internet without connecting to either of those services. I have read somewhere recently that even using those services, there is a setting somewhere that allows you to browse the internet without using the servers at work.

I'll have a look and see if I can find the information about that for you and I'll post it if I can find it.

Tony's probably connecting via VPN tunnel to his works network, in which case if they've blocked access to certain sites then he's stuffed, there are ways round it but I'd be inclined to get a access at home separate from the work access, some companies can be a bit funny about the internet and if they find out he's circumventing sites they've specifically blocked then he could be in all sorts of trouble....

I work from home a lot and connect to the works network for business during the day, then disconnect and go on line via my own connection. it's the safest way. :D

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTT!!!!!

Thanks for all of your input, especially Jeremy! I am constantly connected to my company's VPN and that did the trick!

(Okay, I feel stupid for not thinking of that. . . . . but THANKS!!!! :D)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Tony's probably connecting via VPN tunnel to his works network, in which case if they've blocked access to certain sites then he's stuffed, there are ways round it but I'd be inclined to get a access at home separate from the work access, some companies can be a bit funny about the internet and if they find out he's circumventing sites they've specifically blocked then he could be in all sorts of trouble....

I work from home a lot and connect to the works network for business during the day, then disconnect and go on line via my own connection. it's the safest way. :P

That's what I was trying to say - I just wasn't very clear. Of course, due to the fact that you are connecting via a VPN, they might still not be too happy if they are worried about viral infection and all the other nice malware that's around. Of course, if it's your own PC, they can't really complain, they might just have to beef up their protection or give you a PC that you only use for work.

I know some of the folk at work are constantly trying to use proxies to access You Tube, MySpace and Facebook and each time another proxy is discovered, it's blocked by the IT people. It looks as though IT are winning the battle :D

Sites like youtube usually get blocked not because of viruses, but due to bandwidth. We had a problem where every luchtime peoples internet connections would grind to a halt and the people doing legitimate "work" were complaining, turned out it was everyone going onto youtube and other streaming sites during their luch break and using up all the available bandwidth streaming videos totally unrelated to anything work wise.

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle