Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4s Is The Fastest? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S4s Is The Fastest?

dos Santos

I was just looking at an ad for an S4s.

The owner labled the car as being the fastest esprit made. He posted a 1-100kph time of 4.2 sec.

Isnt this a bit fast for the car? I always thought that the V8's had both quicker acceleration and top speed.

Can anyone clear this up? Has anyone done G-Tech acceleration tests in their cars?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Book time on both as far as I knew was always 4.7....

V8's have all that torque which continues relentlessly but they also weigh more.

My friend with a GT3 with a red race code chip (#11 kinda) can just about beat an S4s

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Book time on both as far as I knew was always 4.7....

V8's have all that torque which continues relentlessly but they also weigh more.

My friend with a GT3 with a red race code chip (#11 kinda) can just about beat an S4s

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, book for the SE is 4.7 too. If you pick through enough road tests 4.7 seems to be applied to every model SE - V8. As robin suggests though, the available torque at the lower rev ranges and the in gear acceleration are where they differ.

The 0-60 and top end are not the real yardstick,

as how often (honestly) are you doing 0-60 sprints

or 165mph?

30-90 or 90-150 are the ones i'm interested in as i visit them more often :D

(errr.... On the autobahn of course :blink: )

Would have thought the V8-GT / S350 / S300 would be faster than an S4s as standard due to power/weight. Standard V8...debatable, I've been around a few S4ses when we've both booted at the same time and the cars are very evenly matched, the instances I remember I wasn't catching but wasn't losing any ground either. At the end of the day there isn't a huge difference in the cars, more is down to the driver.

0-60 is quoted at 4.7 but with any turbo car depends on air temperature, humidity etc. The V8 has no intercooler so on hot dry days it'll suffer more than if were a cold damp day.

Wouldn't pay too much attention to claimed times though, I've seen a few movie files with the V8 claiming it'll do 0-60 in 4.2 and a top of 186mph which seems a bit odd as the gearbox ratio's wont take it that high but it was done using a laser detector.

I also believe the V8's 5th gear is slightly longer than the 4C cars for increased top end. I agree with paul though, the way I drive my car the 40-130mph zone is the one I'm more interested in which is where (IMO) the V8 excells.

As for tests I have software in my car that'll do the 0-60 / 0-100 / 1/4mile and so on but I haven't used it much - it works off ECU values (gearbox RPM etc) and will even give you an estimated BHP / Torque value....how accurate this is remains to be seen but when I have done it the dials / SatNav and software have always shown exactly the same readings. I hope to get this on a propper benchmark sometime to test how accurate it is, apparently it's supposed to be good but it's finding a nice clear flat road to floor it on (a runway would be nice).

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Wouldn't pay too much attention to claimed times though, I've seen a few movie files with the V8 claiming it'll do 0-60 in 4.2 and a top of 186mph which seems a bit odd as the gearbox ratio's wont take it that high but it was done using a laser detector.

That's true. The V8 engine is capable of up to 500bhp, but the cr4ppy Renault gear box can't take it, so they had to de-tune the engine. Slam a decent gear box in there and the Esprit would be a Lambo beater.

Mark

88 Turbo

As for tests I have software in my car that'll do the 0-60 / 0-100 / 1/4mile and so on but I haven't used it much - it works off ECU values (gearbox RPM etc) and will even give you an estimated BHP / Torque value....how accurate this is remains to be seen but when I have done it the dials / SatNav and software have always shown exactly the same readings.  I hope to get this on a propper benchmark sometime to test how accurate it is, apparently it's supposed to be good but it's finding a nice clear flat road to floor it on (a runway would be nice).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What software is this and where can I get it?