Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Electric aerials - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Electric aerials

Two part numbers are listed for S3 Esprit aerials, the earlier one is fitted from the outside by removing the drivers' door and the later one from 1984 is installed from the foot well. The question is does anyone know whether the later aerial can be fitted to the earlier cars (by removing the door)?

Many thanks,

Si

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought mine from a car accessory shop a few years back... if you rummage about, you should be able to find them..mine was an exact match.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Courtesy of LEW, Lotus Tech Bulletin, includes some sizing info if you read it all.

From this the answer to your question appears to be no, although I suppose their could be an aftermarket solution.

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/ET...cal/Aerial.html

Also see

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EM...aro_Aerial.html

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Thanks everyone for the comprehensive response.

Matk's link shows there is no interchangeability as the recess for exterior fit aerials is too small for the later interior fit ones. I asked because I too was watching the ebay item in Simon350S' link and can reveal it is the genuine Lotus interior fit aerial part No. AO82M6271F purchased from a Lotus dealer and never fitted. So anyone with a post mid 1984 S3 requiring an aerial may be interested in this one.

Molemot, if your replacement was a door-off fit could you tell me what the make was or post a pic of it?

Thanks again,

Simon

PS Thanks Tentenths, I've contacted Dave E.

I have just bought one off ebay - came from Hong Kong - see previous link of James (Tentenths) to fit to my 1980 Turbo.

It will require the drivers door to come off for fitting so I'm going to get Gerald Turner at GST Performance to try to fit it. I'll let you know how we get on in the Spring if you're still after one. If you get any joy in the meantime please let us/me know.

Bazza

Simon..yes, it was a door-off fitting, which wasn't a problem because the doors (and all the other panels!) were removed for painting anyway. Sadly I can't remember what make it was, and a photograph would only be of it in situ and I can't seem to post photos anyway! Not very helpful, I'm afraid. I've also searched right through my 4" thick file of receipts/invoices going back to 1990 with no luck...must have been a cash purchase from an accessory shop, and they've probably ceased trading by now; must have been in 1998 when I was nailing the beast back together after spraying. Sorry I can't help further.

JD

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

My car came with the aerial fitted in the rear wing. Most of the time it's lowered so looks fine. Also there's plenty of room for fitting behind the rear boot panels.

Mark

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

Thanks for looking anyway JD - that was very kind.

Thanks for your suggestion too Mark but since I already have a hole in the front wing I don't want to make another one. I might as well keep it original. Your car looks great by the way.

Best wishes,

Si

Bazza I'd be very grateful to hear how you get on with fitting your aerpro, please keep in touch.

Thanks,

Si

Edited by jetace25

• 6 months later...

I am in need of an electric aerial for my S3 turbo hc. i have seen one for sale at Maplins for

Mike Kimberly at the launch of the Lotus Evora,

"These cars will be for the few who know the difference!"