Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V8 or 4 Cylinder? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

V8 or 4 Cylinder?

Ive owned an S4 for the last year and have, and will be spending alot of money making it right in the future. Ive got to the stage where the money ive spent on the S4 would just about get me a V8.

I originally bought the S4 just because i wanted a cheaper car. Thinking about it now i maybe should of spent the extra money and bought the V8 as its got more power and its also a newer car with upgraded dashboard etc.

I do love my car so ill probably just keep the S4 but was just wondering what other people's point of view was on this subject.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very few people get upto a V8 and then come back to the 4 pot.

Depends what you like - if you have a sorted car then keep it is my suggestion, the money you spend will never be re-couped. If you want to cut your loss then go for it.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

hehe, I could have had 2 V8's for the money I've spent on my car!! hahaha just gotta grin and bare it I guess... Hav a V8 before and loved it!! V8 is where my money would be whith hind sight but I have my car how I want it well almost and if I had bought a V8 I'd still want to tinker with it and would have ended up spending a shed load on that too... Where do you stop is the question???? V8 is more expensive to run than the 4 pot well not my 4 pot but most others I guess.. :D

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

I preferred the revvy engine in my S4, the V8 is an awsome tool which is pretty devastating in 3rd and 4th gear even below 4000rpm.

I just like engines which rev, hence the race bikes, the exige and the caterham R500.

If you want to progress without feeling you're working the engine too hard, the V8 is perfect.

I suppose i haven't really had my esprit s4 running right yet. Im sure when i sort out the problems and get the mods such as chip 6 etc i will have a smile on my face. Ive ordered the braided clutch hose and the gear linkage upgrade today. Going to change them and put new fluids through. Hopefully ill see a great difference.

Hi

I would agree with most of the comments above. The V8 especially in a sport 350 is nothing short of staggering in the mid range.

Having said that when the s4 is running right it is not that far off the average v8 .A I have said before you have to really be going for it on our roads to have to worry about whether you are in a V8 or a chargecooled s4.Obviously the S4 is revvier and I would say actually easier to drive on a daily basis. The V8 can be a brute on the everyday commute.

Having said all that my next one will be a V8 again but I am armed with a lot more knowledge now that I was 4 years ago! As has also been said above and I would agree that I have spent roughly twice as much running the V8 as I ever did any 4 I owned. The other thing I found is that its great if you use it every day but last year I did a few hundred miles and everytime I got in the V8 there was another niggling problem like water in the plug holes or O2 sensors gone or cats or.........You are more likely to be able to get in a 4 pot that has been standing and just drive off than you are a V8.To run a V8 everyday requires very deep pockets!!!

I would recommend anyone to own a V8 at some point but as to which is the better car...4 or 8..thats a good one.

To be honest mate I have been following your threads and if I can give one bit of advice is to get yours running right then test drive a V8 and make your mind up.It sounds as if you havent really driven your car yet when it has been a 100%.

Rich