Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Radiator Removal - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Radiator Removal

waycoolsr

Hi Everyone,

I know that the Lotus radiator has been touched on here by several people. I am a new owner of a 1988 and mine is leaking. I do have a manual, but it is not that clear on exactly how to get the radiator out. Has anybody posted a step by step instructions with pictures on the web? If so, I would appreciate a link being sent.

Your time is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah took mine of the GT3 as well - not sure about the other cars...

Main issue was removing the braking system to gain access to the bolts holding the cowlings on.

Then swivelling the oilcoolers out the way - dunno if it's on other models but some bright spark fittied a union in the oil hose so all you have to do is un-couple that and turn the coolers - saved me about 5000 hrs work lol.

Then unlip ALL the electrics to the fans and drain the pipes and drop her out.

As always if there's an easier way to put it back together then go for it - stainless bolts all the way as well.

FWIW my local dealer only wanted

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Yeah took mine of the GT3 as well - not sure about the other cars...

Main issue was removing the braking system to gain access to the bolts holding the cowlings on.

Then swivelling the oilcoolers out the way - dunno if it's on other models but some bright spark fittied a union in the oil hose so all you have to do is un-couple that and turn the coolers - saved me about 5000 hrs work lol.

Then unlip ALL the electrics to the fans and drain the pipes and drop her out.

As always if there's an easier way to put it back together then go for it - stainless bolts all the way as well.

FWIW my local dealer only wanted

Probably the worst bit is removing all the crappy mild steel fixings that are rusted to buggery and all of them will snap meaning you have to drill them out and faff.

You can do it by moving the oil coolers out of the way (worked on my V8) but it is a pig of a job. Easier if you have acces to a ramp though.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

I am currently doing my radiator, I found it easier just to un-do the oil pipes brackets that hold the pipes onto the tray, did'nt disconnect them from the oil cooler at all, then move them to the side, remove all the bolts except the ones that hold the air con radiator in place thats stops any damage being done to the copper pipes that go into the air con rad, they can kink quite easily, the awkwardest(check that for a word) bolts I found to remove are the ones under the motor for your pods,3 either side, the two brackets of course that secure the tray but not the two that hold the aircon rad in, all you need really is enough clearance dropping the tray to remove the radiator and fans, you are actually better with two pairs of hands makes life that wee bit easier, after a bit of shuffling about it comes out no bother at all, again I found it easier to take it out from the side, some bolts I did grind off and will replace them with stainless ones plus stainless jubilee clips and samco hoses, I found it un-nescessary to completely remove the tray, I did post a picture of my rad and fans the fans virtually fell apart. I am having a frame made up of stainless steel complete with new fans and radiator with no metal rings or plastic cowling, and a lot cheaper than what Lotus wanted for a like for like replacement.

I know what you mean. I decided to remove a leaky oil cooler today on my 1998 GT3. Be very very very careful when undoing to connections on the oil cooler. I managed to break both the top and te bottom fittings. New coller needed now. Not cheap.

Chunky Lover