Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
No Charge - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

No Charge

claimchaser

Well here I am,New 88' Esprit owner! YEAH! I drove my new purchase from the sellers home to mine,about 100 miles without a hitch.Got up this morning and it's not charging anymore? It runs just great but is not charging the battery.I checked the cables and they were loose from the PO putting in a new battery just before my purchase.I tested the the syste, and nothing.It still runs and everything is working except the charging system.Are there any 'special to Lotus' things I should look for ? :welcome:

Car Lover,,at least thats how the report read.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How have you diagnosed the lack of charging system? I'm guessing dial on the dash is reading less then 13volts.

If so, check the small wire to the alternator, and belt tension.

On a more positive note.

Welcome to the forum, first post is a technical issue- Ouch

Welcome to Esprit ownership, after first drive = technical issue, erm ouch again.

You'll get used to the little foibles, for example I'm not running either Esprit at the moment, went to check on the Turbo esprit, using my excel, every time I went through a puddle of water my volt gauge would drop for 30 seconds, found the belt was loose, and water spray was making it slip.

Andy

I only had a few minutes with mine before embarking on a business trip.But I did notice that the belt was loose enough to move it back and forth a few inches so I plan upon my return,to adjust the belt first.But I have read alot about the Bosch unit and may have to do the same.I just love this car!

Car Lover,,at least thats how the report read.

I only had a few minutes with mine before embarking on a business trip.But I did notice that the belt was loose enough to move it back and forth a few inches so I plan upon my return,to adjust the belt first.But I have read alot about the Bosch unit and may have to do the same.I just love this car!

Post pictures please, and welcome to our mad world.

Welcome to the site! As Simon reminded me the other day, you can also diagnose the alternator by putting a voltmeter on the battery at rest and with the car running. You should see a jump with the engine running. That will help also indicate whether or not the guage is lying

Edited by talon

My alternator light started coming on and off flickering . . . and the volt meter was saying that the battery was not charging. Then all the dash lights lit up. So I stopped. Then i switched batteries. Drove the car with someone, my wife, trailing me int he volvo. After that battery got down to around 10 volts. I stopped, switched batteries from the volvo, so the new one was charging while i drove the charge out of the other one. Did that 1 more time and drove 85 miles home. Had to drive a bit in the dark, scary, but I had a trail car. Got it home now, but what is strange, part of the time the alt light was not on, but no charge. I am thinking mine is alternator or voltage regulator in alternator. I am taking no chances, purchased new belt and alternator AL49X, modding it and putting it in tomorrow.

wanted to add my battery dies just sitting . . . . and oddly my alt light comes on when the key is out

Edited by CBrownstead

I have not, where is it? I was supposed to go to ohio for the weekend, I did receive all the parts, I have started the painstaking process of recoloring the interior leather, so far the pieces that I have done look fabulous, I am very happy with the results. I am going to have a local unholstery shop redo the carpets afterwards, I figured I might get the dye on it. I am trying to create exactly your car, I love the 300 sport spoiler and the V8 Saturns . . . I also want the wing mirrors. I would love a source for the parts other than the usual . . . I have been using SJ sportcars and the california connection . . . slowly but surely . . . the alternator problem has some strange aspects, the alternator light comes on when i take the key out and it runs the battery dead, I am wondering if a bad voltage regulator would make this happen? Anyway . . .thanks for the post.