Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Play Station 3 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Play Station 3

espritmania

My PS2 is on it's way out so I decided to buy a PS3.To my horror when I got it home it will not play PS1 or PS2 games,so took it back to the Argos.I now have found out that I have to buy a second hand 60gb one to play the old games ant approx

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same problem all round the world. Went and bought my PS3 just after Xmas, told the sales guy that we wanted the PS3 over the Xbox cos we had 50 PS2 games that we wanted to keep playing - no comment from him.

Now no more PS2 games to play :-(

Worst of all the 60 gb version is not available in Oz for another year.

So we're stuck with playing 1 game for a while...

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

I bought the 60GB one right after they reduced the price $100, and just because I knew it would play the PS2 games, and that the new 40GB and 80GB wouldn't.

BTW the 60GB version plays PS2 games perfectly!!! Very happy with mine.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I think I got one of the last 60GBs and it works like a treat with the PS2-Games :P

I bought mine for 450 Euros - PS3-60GB is offered now for 650-700 on ebay...

You can download a free copy of GranTurismo HD from the Playstation Network - This demo is AWESOME!!! It even includes the

Elise MK II

Can't wait for the release of GT5!

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

I think I got one of the last 60GBs and it works like a treat with the PS2-Games :P

I bought mine for 450 Euros - PS3-60GB is offered now for 650-700 on ebay...

You can download a free copy of GranTurismo HD from the Playstation Network - This demo is AWESOME!!! It even includes the

Elise MK II

Can't wait for the release of GT5!

is that the first demo or the prologue demo whcih was availabke off the Japan site but never got posted to the uk store??? Some guys got the link/download from the Japan site but I couldn't get it to work,

I got a 60GB 2nd weekend of launch .. awesome peice of kit and the continuous firmware upgrades are making it better constantly.. I run it for all source now and share from my pc etc for any additional downloads..

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

I got the GranTurismo HD Concept, which features the Eiger Nordwand Scenery and 10 cars. You can choose between lap mode and drift challenge. The GT5 Prologue can be purchased from the Jap. site IIRC.

You could open up a Japanese or Chinese account to enter the foreign stores ;-). You just need a valid address (google any Hotel addy in either Japan or HK) and enter a (fictional) local email address (.jp or .hk)

I would reccommend the HK site as the Jap site has no option for English...

Good Luck.

Ciao,

JB

I also got 5 free Bluray movies with mine.

Like M Blur I also use mine to serve media (music and video) from my PC's to the TV downstairs.

The firmware updates are nice, and games will auto-update if there is one to download.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

managed to buy a 60GB model just before xmas from GAME. I did this when I realised having read the PS3 web site that the 40gb model offered much less ( IMO ). Very impressed with it a real step up from the PS2.

this is the official line on the subject

clicky

Edited by gghc87

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

What's needed is a proper controller ( i.e. a mouse and keyboard ). I bought a SplitFish FragFX from the US and controlling the thing is still a bag of shite.

Right then, said Fred.

Also get some blu ray movies I recommend

Games to avoid no mather what they tell you

I would recommend Bladerunner Final cut, you can spot amazing details in this movie and the Extra features are really impressive...

Just bought the Spiderman Triology box...

What's wrong with Motorstorm? I find it quite entertaining. :P

I also ordered the FragFX - I hope it will improve the gaming of FPS...

Yeah, and the cool thing is that the Logitech Drivingforce Pro is fully PS3 compatible :lol:

Edited by jimmybondi

Ciao,

JB

i bought a 60gb one when i found out they were going to be dicontinued and tbh ive played ps2 games 3 times. motorstorm is entertaining but gets boring after about an hour of playt.

assasins creed is awsome

There is your answer it

I have 2 systems, Nintendo Wii (awesome console) and Xbox 360 (great console except the 3 red rings of death). ps3 is a failed system for most parts. 1st part, its godly expensive. 2. there are no good games for it as of yet. 3. backwards compatiblility sucks, however, ps1 and ps2 games for it are made worse due to the upscale of the video quality. ps1 and ps2 games will look like shit, pardon the french.

@ $250 dollars, with a intuitive way of playing games, Nintendo Wii is a must own system. They have great games for it, Mario anyone?

360 has better graphics and more game library then the ps3. Any game that is coming out for ps3 is also comes out for 360 except exclusive games of course. however, 360 of the sytem suffer from 3 red rings of death, same thing as microsoft blue screen of death. what do you expect, microsoft makes xbox.

I really dont see the need to buy a ps3. Sony has promised much things about the ps3 but fails to deliver. The Online "Sony Home" sucks, the interface is confusing at times. What ever happen to the boomerang controllers that were advertise? all we have are the original ps1 controllers. Six axis is a joke, copied from Nintendo. rumble controllers are finally availble, but not before bc of current technology? hello sony, it was availabe during the mid 90's. The cost to develope games are expensive and hard.

Im not Nintendo fanboy or a 360 fanboy nor am I trying to bash Sony, Im just stating the facts that made me not buy a Sony. Sony relied to much on the "SONY" brand and that made the ps3 a flop.

Edited by lotusessex80

ps3 is a failed system for most parts. 1st part, its godly expensive. 2. there are no good games for it as of yet. 3. backwards compatiblility sucks, however, ps1 and ps2 games for it are made worse due to the upscale of the video quality. ps1 and ps2 games will look like shit, pardon the french.

I really dont see the need to buy a ps3. Sony has promised much things about the ps3 but fails to deliver. The Online "Sony Home" sucks, the interface is confusing at times. What ever happen to the boomerang controllers that were advertise? all we have are the original ps1 controllers. Six axis is a joke, copied from Nintendo. rumble controllers are finally availble, but not before bc of current technology? hello sony, it was availabe during the mid 90's. The cost to develope games are expensive and hard.

Im not Nintendo fanboy or a 360 fanboy nor am I trying to bash Sony, Im just stating the facts that made me not buy a Sony. Sony relied to much on the "SONY" brand and that made the ps3 a flop.

Sorry but you are misinformed.

1)PS2 games look fine if not better on the PS3, but the up-scaling is an option anyway.

2)Backward compatibility on my 60GB PS3 is perfect, no issues at all.

3)Rumble was removed because of licensing issues, and a lawsuit by the people that own the rights.

Microsoft also paid them a lot of money to have exclusive rights to the rumble... Which was also later granted to Sony through

an agreement, making M$ a little angry.

4)Initial reaction to the boomerang controller was that it sucked (or looked funny), so they cancelled it.

5)CELL might have been a gamble, forcing programmers to relearn and rethink how they approach writing code in ways that can be split up for efficient parallelism, but once they do it will be aboon to humanity!!! The CELL is just getting started.

6)30,000 PS3's are now the fastest super computer ever (distributed network computing)! At Folding@HOME protein folding simulation, with CPU time donated by PS3 owners... Which I think is pretty cool. I calculated it once based on the results, 1 PS3 was as fast as 180 average PC's at Folding@HOME.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

PS3 rocks through a good size 1080p.. the ongoing firmware upgrades keep it moving along nicely, the cell processor is super quick and the blu ray awesome. Media/server sharing and increasing playback formats really help. I have had my 60GB from launch, love it and it's now our only source in the living room. I use it through an Onkyo TC full lossless av and the small number of hdmi connections between the av, SkyHD and tv all work a treat.

As Trav says the upscaling works hunky-dorey.. okay they do look old gen on a 1080p but that's to be expected - the upscaling itself is fine, especially through a decent av.

wii was designed for non-gamers, families and women.. it's pure novelty has graphics that look circa 1998 and a real lack of multi media interface.. Don't get me wrong it's a hoot and I do get it; just that the PS3 is then aimed at a different more serious games and media market. If the wii is a ford then the PS3 is a bmw. In terms of the cable interface of the wii that will soon be bettered as the next-gen PS3 eye fully kicks in, it's movement engine is more advanced but like many of the tings on the pS3 - the code is going to take time to get around.. some of the good PS3 games just blow everything else into the weeks.. PC included.. the frame rate can really keep up with the latest TVs to provide no stutter. The network also seems very robust :o

I'm sure XB will come back but they have lost the initative.. PS3 is the media centre of choice for the modern home.. I do find it funny how these things seems to draw lines... I think the price created a haves and have-nots situation.. I have dissed Ferraris in the past as over-hyped but would love to own one :ermm:

all we need now are for the programmers to catch-up and alas the MS control of many of the top houses (Forza anyone) and the fact Sony pee'd them off yrs back means it takes time for the potential to fully realise.. btu it will come. :o

Edited by M Blur

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

The TRUTH about the PS3's backwards compatibility...

As far as the only good games on PS3 so far is Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy Series, Grand Turismo 5.

There really isn't nothing next gen. about ps3 or xbox 360. Those two console are just upgrades of the previous model. Unlike the Nintendo Wii, which is revolutionary in terms of a whole new way of playing video games. If you saying its just for casual non hard core gamers, then you are wrong. This is a stereotype to nintendo owners. Games like Manhunt 2 and No More Heroes with its blood and gore is hardly considered for casual and non gamers alike. The graphics on the Wii is much better then ps2 graphics, but not on the same level as ps3 or 360. Its a misconception that Wii graphics suck, if you didnt know, the Nintedo gamecube had a better graphics card then the ps2.

When comparing the 360 to PS3, the 360 wins out in terms of a better package. Blu-ray or HD-DVD to me and to most consumers, dont care about what format it is, a dvd will be a dvd. NO HD quality DVD, who cares, its all the same. Sure it looks great on a big screen TV with HD, but that to me is not a selling point for me to buy a console. The value of the console is what drives me to buy the system.

Do i need to spend $600-$400 dollars for a ps3 that i can spend $300 on 360 and get the same if not better value. There is no difference between the console except the blu ray and hd-dvd. They both play games, have great graphics, great processors, but the price difference and value per dollar, i say the 360 wins.

The TRUTH about the PS3's backwards compatibility...

Blah Blah and a lot of opinion (which is fine cause it's his opinion)

The truth about the PS3 backwards compatibility is this:

20GB & 60GB launch models have a full PS2 inside (the Emotion Engine CPU and graphics), their backwards compatibility is ~%100

40GB UK and US has no PS2 hardware and no backwards compatibility.

80GB US has no PS2 hardware, and backwards compatibility is through software emulation, claimed >80% compatible increasing with firmware updates.

Eventually the 40GB may also be backwards compatible.

PS2 games actually look better on my 60GB PS3

And I use it for my media center through Windows Media Player 11, shared from both my PC and Laptop.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

hmmm..PS3 is a good alternative to play Blu-Ray DVD movie at very cheap price.

I have owned a XBOX 360 with the extra HD-DVD drive package, but I sold it already because I don't have time to play video game anymore. (I play Forza 2 and Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell most of the time)

overall, XBOX 360 has a better game library, and cheaper game prices

NOTE: HK region games (XBOX 360 games= HK$299-350 comparing to PS3 games= HK$450-500)

and yes, PS3 is possibly the fastest computer in the world now.

but for screen quality, I am thinking about a "Duo" format HD-DVD player from LG, that's capable to play both Blu-Ray & HD-DVD movies.

HK has already started HD-TV broadcasting, so we are receiving digital broadcasting from the local TV networks, and that's including Digital Audio Sounds.

I wonder what will be the impact to the retail sale of HD-DVDs...

I don't think I will buy or rent as much DVD as before, because the TV already shows HD quality movies...

I think the Blu-Ray technology will only last about 6-8years and then the retail sales will drop alot.

Concerning the games, I think PS3 maker loses the focus in gaming.

the most important is not the graphic, but a good story and good interactive gaming environment.

I believe gamers will not be fooled by simply good looking demo video anymore.

By the way, what has happened to the PS3 "KillZone 2"???

there are news that some games will run at 120fps... really?

About GT5, anyone plans to purchase the latest Logitech steering wheel??

Edited by esprithk

The ps3 console itself is a failed system. 3rd place in console sales out of the wii and 360. the biggest factor is that value of the system for the price. if i was gonna buy a ps3, i would buy the 80gb, the best one, and not fiddle with the 20 or 40 or 60 gig system. have you ever wondered why sony drop the storage and price, just to make the damn thing affordable, and not just that, sony's lack of support for the community sucks, unlike Nintendo who supports its community and LISTENS to them. Microsoft, with xbox live, is a great system for its value. The only way that sony can persuade me to buy a ps3 is of three things: Make my ps2 games work 100% (some games dont work and some games look like shit), Price Drop Please, Sony Home is a fail, please revamp, at least beta test it (inside joke about sony Home, sony released Home without beta testing it to the public, had so many bugs and flaws. LOL.)!

The ps3 console itself is a failed system. 3rd place in console sales out of the wii and 360. the biggest factor is that value of the system for the price. if i was gonna buy a ps3, i would buy the 80gb, the best one, and not fiddle with the 20 or 40 or 60 gig system. have you ever wondered why sony drop the storage and price, just to make the damn thing affordable, and not just that, sony's lack of support for the community sucks, unlike Nintendo who supports its community and LISTENS to them. Microsoft, with xbox live, is a great system for its value. The only way that sony can persuade me to buy a ps3 is of three things: Make my ps2 games work 100% (some games dont work and some games look like shit), Price Drop Please, Sony Home is a fail, please revamp, at least beta test it (inside joke about sony Home, sony released Home without beta testing it to the public, had so many bugs and flaws. LOL.)!

Ummm....

Sony Home hasn't been released.... It's in Beta....

http://www.homebetatrial.com/

3rd place, so what? Neither M$ nor Sony has made money on the hardware yet. The PS2 start was slow too, and then it went on to sell >100,000,000, and still sells millions... Some thought that would be a failure.

Sony just cut manufacturing costs several hundred $$ and will most likely be doing another price drop soon. For now I don't mind Sony subsidizing the cost of the machine, I bought mine for several hundred $ less than it cost Sony to make. They will eventually make it back on games and BluRay (now that BluRay is nearly certain of winning).

Also the PS3 is easily upgradeable to a larger HD, but generally more than 60GB is not needed. The HD's are cheaper everyday. M$ actually charges much more for their HD upgrade, since it comes in their unique enclosure.

And after all I said above, what makes you think the 80GB PS3 is the best? The 60GB is clearly the best with the most features and compatibility, not to mention the most desirable.

Also they never dropped the storage to drop the price... They went from a 20 &60GB model lineup to a 40 & 80GB. The price actually reduced because the drop in manufacturing costs due to a new line of blue laser Diodes, which is able to produce hundreds of thousands of blue laser Diodes a month, and the deletion of the PS2 hardware.

BTW I can remember about 13 years ago when I worked in an Atomic Physics lab, there were no blue laser Diodes, there were no blue LED's either (not really until the late 90's. We made an awesome blue laser using a Nd:YAG laser pumped through a Ti-Saphire crystal and then doubled from 920nm to 460nm. Now that was a BLUE Laser!

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hmm...I think it is impossible to say this system is the best, or that console is better. Like you cannot say Furrari or Porsche or Lotus is the ultimate car for everybody...

Concept of the Wii is innovative, no doubt about that. but that console is not for me...if you are complaining about the shitty graphics of the PS2, then you can't be really happy with the Wii.

I am happy with the PS3 - if you want to have the same features of the PS3 60GB - the X-box will cost about the same - at least here in Europe.

I am not the hardcore gamer...I will buy GT5 and play it with the Logitech Drivingforce Pro and my custom made playseat. Besides that, I will install Linux just for the fun of it and will use the PS3 to surf on the I-Net and to stream all kinds of media to the living room..

my 2ct.

Ciao,

JB