Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
039 Arrives in Florida! - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

039 Arrives in Florida!

jeff512

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott

The car is a real credit to you and all involved, fantastic work well done

DSCF6032.jpg

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

I don't read many posts of that length - but I'm really glad I read all that - fantastic insite into how it all happened. Thanks Scott.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Great story and great car. Enough for anyone with a rough Esprit that they are working on to get the inspiration to plod on and a target to reach.

Now it needs Steve to put loads of miles on it and drive as it deserves.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

once again...

congratulations Jeff (i'm glad you finally can enjoy your dream) :yes

and

great work Scott...you are a very rare chap in the grand scheme of things - repsect :D

jim

Cheers - jim

Jeff what an amazing journey this car has had. Reading this produced a big teary lump in my throat. :blink: I honestly admit though lifting an Esprit by forklift made me cringe. Perhaps they organised wooden lifting points under the car?? Surprised nothing was bent under there.

Scott...hats off to you your clearly a passionate guy and I really hope you find as many S1's as possible to restore. More the better, its makes me sad seeing these beautiful cars going to ruin. You asked about pictures...Yes please if you get a chance post up when you can.

What a great thread. :lol:

350.gifNo.23

Thank you everyone for the kind words, and a huge THANK YOU again to Scott Walker. I LOVE MY CAR! Your post was very eloquent, and shows the incredible enthusiasm you have for Lotus.

To answer a few of the questions that were posed, shipping the car here by air was much easier (and more commonplace) than expected. Plus, the car arrived in 8 hours instead of 8 weeks by ship, and no chance of getting bumped around on the open sea for weeks on end. I also avoided any problems with the car being drag raced up and down the docks by the ships crew or the people at the ports (I have heard horror stories about that sort of thing!) The car was actually flown over on a Virgin 747 passenger flight, nonstop from Gatwick to Orlando.

The day Scott arranged for me in Hethel was one of the best days of my life, perfect from start to finish. And seeing 039 come across the tarmack at the airport in Orlando was, for me, the culmination of decades of passion for the S1, ever since I saw my first one as a kid in 1977 (another day I will never forget!) Watching them use 4 forklifts to lift the car off (it was on a thick metal plate on top of the pallets) was more than a bit scary, but the people at Virgin handled it perfectly. I got in, fired her up, and I was off, and of course I immediately called Scott from my cell as I drove 039 for the first time in the US. The car now shares a garage with my Elise and my DeLorean, and will lead a great life of tender loving care, between Sunday drives, concours events and polishing!

The car will be shown for the first time at our annual charity concours in Orlando the weekend of April 18-20 (www.celebrationexoticcars.com)

A few people asked for some additional photos. There are some of the restoration and finished car on this thread:

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=11765

Thanks again!

Jeff

Edited by jeff039

this thread is a joy to read.

well done to everyone involved.

jeff - you have a true gem.

good luck,

rog

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg