Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Boost Gauge Reading and Oil Pressure on a GT3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Boost Gauge Reading and Oil Pressure on a GT3

GordonMasson

Can you tell me what I should be expecting to see on boost on the gauge of my GT3?

The gauge seems to go up to about 0.6 Bar and then stops there. Should it go further?

The car certainly seems to pull well but compared to the S1 I would expect that anyway.

Also with regards to Oil Pressure, it always looks a bit on the low side to me

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Gordon,

If everything is right with your engine, you should see around 1 bar max. boost, when you floor it (engine fully warmed up, of course).

0.65 bar is the mechanical boost setting. If you connot get higher, then you have a problem somewhere (maybe one or more parametres are not spot on). If this is the case your ECU will limit boost to the mechanical setting (= 0.65 bar). Its not unlikely that you also get a fault code and the check engine light (CEL) ON.

The oil gauges are very well know for showing a bit low. This should not necessarily indicate a problem.

Cheers

Marcus

Can you tell me what I should be expecting to see on boost on the gauge of my GT3?

The gauge seems to go up to about 0.6 Bar and then stops there. Should it go further?

The car certainly seems to pull well but compared to the S1 I would expect that anyway.

Also with regards to Oil Pressure, it always looks a bit on the low side to me

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

What temperature does your gauge showafter warming up? If the car does not warm-up to the correct temp then you will never get "over-boost", as the ECU will limit it. This could be caused by a sticking open thermostat.

What temperature does your gauge showafter warming up? If the car does not warm-up to the correct temp then you will never get "over-boost", as the ECU will limit it. This could be caused by a sticking open thermostat.

Strange you should say that Paul........

I think the car is heating up ok but i have seen the temp drop down a bit and noticed that the heater in the car is not performing too well.

I had assumed that it may be that the heater matrix was a bit gunged up but if the stat is sticking open then it would give the same kind of result.

I didnt realise that the temperature of the engine was linked to the level of boost the ECU would give you.

Perhaps i should change out the stat anyway....... thanks for the info.

Cheers

Gordon

Oil pressure varies entirely on the gauge - mine has always read low (typically just out of the red at idle when warm, most ever is about 3 Bar when cold). That's been going on for 50,000 miles now, with no apparent problems (touch wood). I did get the oil pressure checked using an external gauge which showed mine was under-reading by a fair amount, so I suspect they aren't exactly precision accurate to start with. Now if the oil light comes on round corners / under braking, it's time to check the oil!

Boost should easily touch 1 Bar on WOT when warm.

Tim B

Hi,

I get maximum flat out boost on the gauge when the car has warmed up. As for oil pressure, just under 4 bar cold, then 3 bar once warm. Idle is over the red, so over one bar. And I've checked my intercooler after a run, lovely and cool, so all seems ok. (touches wood!)

Owen.

I get just over 1/2bar boost too, and wondered if there was a problem, and like Gordon running temp seems quite low. Got to get freescan. Also I agree with all previous on oil pressure it reads quite low, think thats just the way it is.

Gordon,

Now you have Freescan running, the engine is crying out for a log file so that all your issues can be checked out. Both IAC position and boost are recorded the log. Freescan manual would talk you though what everthing means or you can send it to me.

Dermot... sounds like a great plan....

I did have the PC hooked up on the way to work this morning BUT for some reason a lot of the values were 0 ??????

I will try another run at lunch time and if you dont mind i will send yo uthe log to review.

Any particular things i have to do on the run to gather the right data ?

Hi,

I get maximum flat out boost on the gauge when the car has warmed up. As for oil pressure, just under 4 bar cold, then 3 bar once warm. Idle is over the red, so over one bar. And I've checked my intercooler after a run, lovely and cool, so all seems ok. (touches wood!)

Owen.

Owen... Oil pressure seems to be pretty much the same as mine then.... looks standard :D

When you say "flat out boost" do you mean it goes full scale on the gauge ... to 1 bar?

I dont think i have ever seen the boost go above 0.6... mind you, yo ucant see the gauges anyway.... having the huge steering wheel on the S1 does have some benifits :D

Mark the INTERACT button on your Freescan control page !

Dermot... sounds like a great plan....

I did have the PC hooked up on the way to work this morning BUT for some reason a lot of the values were 0 ??????

I will try another run at lunch time and if you dont mind i will send yo uthe log to review.

Any particular things i have to do on the run to gather the right data ?

Marcus

Mark the INTERACT button on your Freescan control page !

Doh !!!!! :D

Makes all the difference when you use it the right way doesnt it !!

OK ... Update

Went out for a test run ... car would hardly pull away when it was coldish without me revving it to 2500 ... even getting the revs to rise was a hard work ... engine seemed to bog under with no load.

Once it was warm it was fine.......... IAC???? ..........new one not here yet.

Boost ... does go all the way to 1 bar but i dont think i had ever wound it up far enough to see it yet.... managed it twice on a test run today..........F*&%K me ... that thing is fast :D

Temperature gauge is all over the place but from the freescan log it looks to be fairly steady at 75 - 85... perhaps its the sender unit ... does the ECU share the same one as the gauge?

Dermot ... see PM .... if you could have a look at my log that would be great.

Thanks

Gordon

Edited by GordonMasson