Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
wheel spacers and aftermarkets - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

wheel spacers and aftermarkets

I have an 88 that I want to put saturns on . . .cannot find saturns, so I want to do the next best thing, can I buy spacers and buy aftermarket wheels . . . I think I can but what size spacers and what offset, bolt pattern etc . . . thanks for the help

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive made big research trough dealers and catalogs, but nothing :) found only custom fitting made wheels but huge money (1000EUR per wheel):), cant say with spacer, but this theme also interesting me.

direct fitting:

5x108 60mm middle

front 7x17 ET23 - 215/40

back 8.5x17 ET30 - 245/45

this dimmension matching to OZ Saturn

if u find some let me pls know:)

Edited by SKY

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

If you're going 3rd party by far the best option would be to get a generic wheel (to their specs - much cheaper than a custom one) and then wheel spacer / adapters which convert their wheel bolt specs to yours.

The Esprit patern is few and far between, harldy anyone makes it because there is more money in other paterns becasue more cars use them - tried this when looking for wheels on the GT2 (ie sport 350 wheels) - in the end a set of S350 mags was cheaper !!!

So in summary - get a wheel you like but have it offset by AT LEAST 20mm on spec. Make your spacer to bring the offset back into spec (this needs to be at least 20mm as this is the material needed to bolt onto or your bolts will strip out and you'll lose your wheels) - make the spacer to accomodate both wheel bolt paterns = job done.

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Chris,

You can get some really nice aftermarket wheels for cheap, have a machinist make you some spacers as Jonathan points out and you'll be all set. PM me for details on the spacing, I believe the 88 is the same spacing as the 89 I have. I had a 25mm spacer made for the rear of my car to space my wheels out farther, although I got the 5X108 bolt pattern on the spacer, a local machinist should be able to make you a spacer for front and rear for about $400 USD, then you can find 17 or 18" wheels for about $1K, pretty cheap compared to my 3500USD wheels or Jfitz' wheels!

ARtie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I inquired about rims for my 88. I was looking at the OZ Nova. A good friend told me this:

Then you will have to look into the suspension geometry, the later "eagle chassis" (SE on) is stiffer and has less camber gain designed in to it to take full advantage of the lower stiffer sidewalls of the 50 series tyres that car used, so you will probably be taking a step back in the handling stakes If you just bolt the new Nova's on without taking that into account. The cars handling may end up very skitterish and unpredictable(a sure step backwards) I have seen some adjustable upper rear control arms for sale, so you could fit them to minimise camber gain at the rear.

And a final thing, your little stock Girling twin piston front Calipers will be on full view, and at the rear there will be just a suspension upright to be seen through those rims!

So If you dont mind going through all that, go for it!

Stock sizes for the 88 was unique...

7J x 15 @ +23.3 inset FRONT

8J x 15 @ -20.3 inset REAR

Hi Sky

It may be worth noting the 2 different models available in 88 so you don't confuse the info.

I think you have the US spec which had dished rear wheels and were different to the UK spec which had the renault box and the wheels were the same in appearance as the front wheels but were larger diametre, ie fronts 15" rears 16"

I may be wrong, but check it out. If you are in the US and have the citroen box then you will have 15" front and rear

hope this helps

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

so if i good understand this, it does t matter what wheels i ll buy, need only somebody who ll made custom fitting spacer, right?

yep

that's right

had some custom made for my car

20 and 35 mm

spacers converters from 5x108 to 5 x130

porsche rims can be found everywhere and some look smart

rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

i do have the citroen box so the offset is 20 front and 35 back? . . . p.s. wish me luck i found a 87 White Lambo Coutach just 60 miles south of here for under 80k . . . going to test drive it tomorrow . . . you talk about trouble. . . now i am asking for it . . .

Edited by CBrownstead

Awesome! when you test drive that baby, I reckon you will see why Lotus is the Marque that it is....well thats what all the other Esprit owners want to say and belive...goodluck, I am genuinely interested in how it compares.

let us know.

Justyboy

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

• 4 years later...

hi sorry to restart an old thread but on that topic of the US dished wheels which were specific to the citroen gearboxes - was the offset different to the UK non dished ones? it must have been right? So if you fit the dished US wheels to a car with a renault gearbox you essentially widen the track of the car...true?

• 2 weeks later...