Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Interesting chargecooler - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Interesting chargecooler

These are getting more and more popular for their cost and ease of installation, i cannot see them approaching the efficiency of a core but who knows . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Air-Water-I...tem260219628185

There is another variant i have seen lately that is straight through with a large water jacket on the outside, these claim higher efficiency than a cored version . . not sure.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

The inside looks like it would create a lot of turbulence, possibly good for moving the air around to touch the cooling elements, but it's not going to be a nice smooth flow of air so a lot less than a straight through pipe of equivalent diameter would deliver.

Probably along similar lines to the electric superchargers that utilise motors you'd cool a PC with.

i wrote the company to see some numbers on the unit, they have varying sizes and say they can make bends . . . i remember seeing some G cars that had fins on the outside of the bent pipe you find on an non-chargecooled car . . . so the engineers had the idea. Anyway, if you could replace your pipe all the way to the plenum, and cool the whole thing down . . . that would be interesting . . . less restrictive, but how much cooling actually goes on . . .